FORUMS: list search recent posts

3:2 pulldown for video monitor trouble

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Eid
3:2 pulldown for video monitor trouble
on Jan 27, 2014 at 6:00:21 pm

I just switched from windows to OS X and am having trouble getting my video monitor working in Resolve 10 (outputting through a DeckLink Mini Monitor card's hdmi connection). My monitor is a high end computer monitor, and in windows I had to use a feature called "Output HD 23.98psf at HD59.94p" (which was a windows only feature) in Desktop Video to get it to work. I was under the impression that this was a 3:2 pulldown, and that by enabling "3:2 pulldown" in the Resolve project settings I would have the same result... unfortunately my monitor still says "out of range" and appears blank.

In Final Cut and After Effects theres an equivalent feature for shifting video output, and as far as I know it's a 3:2 pulldown process. I have video out working just fine in both of those programs. Any ideas why this doesn't work in Resolve?

I've written to the Blackmagic Design team but am desperate for a quick solution and last time I wrote them they never wrote back...

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: 3:2 pulldown for video monitor trouble
on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:08:22 pm

Have you tried the setting in the BMD control panel that outputs PsF as P?

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow

Return to posts index

Oliver Eid
on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:27:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did try that, that was not the problem.

I have just figured it out though. Within Resolve there were two things that had to be done, enabling the 3:2 pulldown fixes playback for the converted output, but to enable the actual conversion I had to set video output to 1080i 59.97 (decklink mini monitor doesn't support 1080p 59.97...)

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:25:23 pm

[Oliver Eid] ""Output HD 23.98psf at HD59.94p" "

This is still weird vocabulary, or am I missing something else crucial?

For 2:3 cadence to be valid for broadcast, with the exception of ABC and its affiliates, you must be working with an interlaced codec with field dominance. Otherwise you are simply working in 59.94 progressive. For ABC, of course, the standard was established with 720P60; it works with Advanced Pulldown (which is 2:3:3:2), it works with so-called 2:3 SMPTE pulldown as "progressive" frames, which really just corresponds to 59.94 interlaced fields. To some extent, six of one, a half-a-case of the other. But the A-B-C-D field relationship (dominance) doesn't get properly established, if you are working back to the old RS-170A SD legacy-compatibility, which some broadcasters insist on.

Coming from 23.98 source media, though, the necessity of seeing 29.97i escapes me. Is there some issue of not being able to compute a drop-frame running length accurately? And if this is for broadcast, (no other reason to work in 2997) a graphics monitor is a still- questionable choice, since there are very, very few solid-state displays that don't just convert everything back to progressive. And that will introduce a very messy can of worms, if you need this to pass a QA somewhere.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:42:03 am

The original HD-Link SDI to DVI box had settings to make EDID and refresh work with different LCD monitors. You should check the BMD settings for the MiniMonitor but it might not support refresh rate changes to support the capabilities of LCD Computer monitors.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

2X Resolve With Titans, Wave and Element Panels. Telecine and 4K Film Data Scans 8mm,16mm,35mm film lab.

Return to posts index

Thomas Woodroffe
on Jun 20, 2015 at 3:43:30 pm

Sorry for reactivating an old post, but I'm having the same problem now. I just bought a computer IPS monitor (Asus MX239H) and I'm trying to make it work with the Decklink Mini Monitor. I think my problem is the monitor only works at 50 or 60 hz. So, if I try to output at 23,976 fps, the screen displays a "OUT OF RANGE" message. The Decklink don't work at 1080p60 or 1080p50 and interlaced formats don't work either.. so the only way I make it work was using 720p60.

If anyone knows a way to make it work, please help me.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]