FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Timecode extents" error importing PPro XML to Resolve 10

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan McClurg
"Timecode extents" error importing PPro XML to Resolve 10
on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:29:27 am

Hi everybody,

I've been scouring the internet for hours, reading threads here and there with similar problems, but nobody seems to know how to fix this.

I have a XML file of a Premiere Pro cs6 project, and I want to import it into Davinci Resolve Lite 10, so that I can color correct it. So far, I've figured out that by going to "config" and adjusting the frame rate to 23.976 - which is what the PPro project was apparently set to - then I can at least manage to import the XML into the timeline, and it looks as it should. The cuts are apparent, the video files overlap where cuts were made, etc. Everything looks as it should.

HOWEVER... I keep getting this error. The clip "1/B PU-1 - Merged" failed to link because the media file "clip" is missing or has the wrong timecode extents.

Of course, that is not the only clip name. Every single video clip it mentions, has the same error, in a very long list. All the clips have this error. Note, the audio files will play just fine. They show up on the Edit timeline. I have all the video and audio clips from the project already in their respected folders within the Media Pool (a folder I made for Video, and one for Audio), and I've even tried messing with "config" when first starting the project, and adjusting the settings for timecode.

So far, I have not found a solution to solving this issue, and getting my XML of Premiere Pro to show me the video files. Anyone know how to correct this "timecode extents" error? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Bryan McClurg
Editor, Writer, Director

Return to posts index

John Sackey
Re: "Timecode extents" error importing PPro XML to Resolve 10
on Jan 27, 2014 at 12:18:10 pm

Does the "merged" part of the file name denote a nested sequence?

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:06:54 pm

Do the "merged" audio/video have the same timecode? The XML may be assuming that the correct TC is the Audio TC and discarding the Video TC. This something that happened sometimes with FCP7 and "merged" clips.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:43:33 pm

Eric,

I'll look into that after what we're currently attempting.

I'm under the impression that different path destinations are the issue. My client has been working off a hard drive, then switched to working off their laptop instead. They copied the project into a new hard drive, which I'm working with, but I believe that the project's path should be set to my hard drive, that way it should relocate everything.

If that doesn't work, then yes, it could be an issue with the timecode.

Pardon my little experience on the matter, but what would be the best way to make sure the XML is reading the Video TC instead? Would that be solved in the "config" options when first creating a new Davinci project?

Bryan McClurg
Editor, Writer, Director

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:41:53 pm

UPDATE: The path destination is not the issue. In fact, I now have the exact name of the video files that are being used in the cut. I have all the video and audio files within my hard drive.

It must be misreading the video timecode. Should I be fixing this through Davinci? Or Premiere? How might I get the imported XML to read the video timecode?

Thanks to anyone who has suggestions or advice on this.

Bryan McClurg
Editor, Writer, Director

Return to posts index

Bryan McClurg
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:36:51 pm

John,

No, the files themselves were manually labeled with "Merged" at the end, probably to denote that the raw video/audio were synced or "merged" together by the asst. editor for the editor's purpose. The mention of merged has nothing to do with nesting.

Bryan McClurg
Editor, Writer, Director

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:06:15 pm

not being all that Premiere savvy, I couldn't say....

But one way to check in Resolve would be to check a clip against the edit to see if the clip TC is similar to the TC that is expected.

If it turns out that the TC is the issue then if I were in FCP7, I believe there is a "similar" function in Premiere, I'd create a new timeline with only Picture and do a Media Manage, use existing, do not delete unused media, use file names, remove inactive multiclip angles, etc... so as to "clean" the sequence.

Then generate a new XML and hope for the best...

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow

Return to posts index

wesley darbouze
on Sep 5, 2014 at 5:03:34 am

Hi Brian,

did you ever find a solution to this problem? or anyone else for that matter?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]