FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crash

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Glucksman
Crash
on Jan 24, 2014 at 11:30:34 pm

So this may not be a Resolve issue since it just happened again with a different program, but my mid-2010 MacPro has been crashing for no apparent reason. I'll be doing something or other, suddenly the fan roars for a couple seconds and the computer crashes.
Is it possible the fan itself is on it's way out? How difficult is it to replace it?

Again, it's a mid-2010 MacPro running OSX 10.8.5. GPU is a GeForce GTX 780. 32gb ram. The fan is original from when I bought it in 2011.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Crash
on Jan 25, 2014 at 9:03:28 am

Oh boy, this sounds terrible.
Thats exactly how mine started to die last year.
The problem originates in the big card drawing too much power during some operations like rendering but also on boot up.
The capacitors are slowly giving in.
I hope you are still on Apple Care.

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Jan 25, 2014 at 2:55:39 pm

Is there's solution other than a new computer? You're freaking me out. If I put in a different card?

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Jan 25, 2014 at 8:31:07 pm

I hate that you are having this problem!

I didn't put a high current draw card in my MacPro until I found a power supply dedicated to the card. This is what I have used for a year with great results: https://www.shopfsp.com/boosterx-5/p/417.html

I have been building Mac editing systems since the Quadra 900/950 days (first Avid Systems.) Nothing kills an electronic device faster (other than a power surge) than excessive heat and or current draw. You have read a lot from people writing that they are running this high wattage graphics card or that high wattage graphics card just using the internal power with some sort of adapter cables. DON'T DO IT! Spend the $90 and an hour installing some CHEAP insurance in the form of additional power.

I built an expansion chassis and used this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014 Could have used something less since the chassis has no CPU or drives but why? Again, the extra $100 was cheap insurance.

I come from the "old school" big post facility model, these high end businesses were built to be reliable and to have very little downtime. That's how I approach everything I build to this day. Not the cheapest, but something I can use confidently in front of clients, day in, day out.

Good luck, I hope your system isn't DOA. Look into some additional power.

Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Consultant
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Jan 25, 2014 at 9:32:01 pm

Thanks for all that information. I'm going to plug back in my old Radeon 5770 tonight. If my computer isn't irretrievably gone, I'll absolutely get the extra power supply. If it is...well. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Jan 26, 2014 at 4:15:55 am

First of all--THANK YOU both for the advice & guidance, Sascha for helping narrow me down to what the problem is and Clark for the detailed information on how to find a workaround. I put my 5770 back in and my computer is running just fine, so it looks like I managed to avoid fully killing my computer. It was still in a "Take a freaking hint, dude, before you ruin me for good" mode.

The problem I have now (albeit one that's temporary, but thoroughly inconvenient): Resolve won't open with the 5770. "No CUDA Acceleration Hardware Detected."
I know v10 stepped up in power so some older GPUs are no longer supported, but it's hard to imagine that the stock GPU that comes with the old-style MacPros would be among them. Do you guys know a way around this, or am I stuck until I can get a supplementary power supply & plug the 780 back in?

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:03:37 am

No reason to freak out yet.
I had the same issue with my 2009 4.1 MacPro randomly shutting down, just as described. Mind you, my GPU for GUI is GTX 570, which is perfectly fine to use without worrying about overdrawing the power.
I had done two things since and the problem is gone and the computer works perfectly since.
1. I vacuumed all openings used for cooling.
2. I updated my 4.1 MacPro to 5.1, while upgrading 8 core CPUs to 12 core CPUs and swapping 1066 MHz RAM for 1333MHz RAM. It is possible, that newer CPUs even with more cores are drawing less power or there was a bad RAM connection. Regardless, things may be not so dire, as you may thinkā€¦

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:53:03 pm

that's a sad thing to hear.
I have a MacPro 4.1 with the GTX570 2.5GB card installed, so far no restarts, shut downs...

But after this thread I'll try to get a hold of an expansion chassis in the near future:)

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Jan 26, 2014 at 4:15:39 pm

I don't think you need an expansion chassis, only a power supply to power the graphics card, I use https://www.shopfsp.com/boosterx-5/p/417.html and I'm not sure if it is still available. Before I got this I tested the card with an external PC power supply and that worked as well but the wiring was not too neat!

An expansion chassis is great but it will cost a lot more than just providing more power to the card in the MacPro.

Clark Bierbaum
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:16:32 am

Hi, Clark. A question about the Corsair you used for your chassis. I got a Corsair today--the 650, since I only need it for the GPU. Yes, 650 is a bit overkill, but worth it for the peace of mind. Except...it appears to not work. Plugged in & turned on, there are no LEDs or hums or anything to indicate it's functioning. Further, while the 780 turns on with my computer, I am not getting a video signal to my monitor. Also, the 780 stays on when I unplug the Corsair, leading me to believe it's getting just enough power from the PCI connection to be on but not enough to actually be used for anything (including further destroying my computer, for which I'm grateful).

What's your experience with your Corsair? Does it have any lights or hums or anything to indicate it's alive, even if the chassis itself is off or unconnected? I'll call Corsair's tech support first thing in the morning, but if you happen to still be up and in a charitable mood, I'd love to know your thoughts on this...

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Jan 27, 2014 at 6:19:42 am

Try this - you have to get the supply to turn on.
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22

Good luck!

Clark Bierbaum
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:39:09 am

Bingo. You're my hero.

One staple and some electrical tape later, and everything appears to be running just fine (at least as well as 4k footage with only one shared GUI/GPU can run).

Again, thank you.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:45:35 am

Problem was, I already have the 5.1, with the same specs as you. My GPU, the GTX 780, is not made for the Mac Pro because it takes more power than the internal supply can adequately provide. Like Sascha said early in this thread, my capacitors were getting overloaded and if I kept it up the circuits would have fried. The crashing was my computer begging me to stop the torture. It was definitely time to freak out, since I have two clients who are breathing down my neck. I don't have time to do anything but lock in on the solution, which Clark was kind enough to figure out & provide.

I can only imagine how much more fun you're having with the 5.1 Mac Pro. I jumped from a 2004 MacBook Pro running Apple Color to my tower and Resolve--what a wonderful experience it was the first time I did a project on my new system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]