FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to import Audio to Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Petersen
Unable to import Audio to Resolve
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:41:58 pm

Audio not appearing on drives in Resolve library.
Continuing to sync on a job, day 3, all has gone good till now.
I’m navigating on the media page to the location of my audio .wav files to add into the media pool to sync with video. I see most of my audio files in Resolve.
I can right click on any one file and “locate in finder” there I see that file along with the missing files that are not appearing in the Resolve window. The names are not complicated and the files are of similar size and similar names. I can find for example “Scene_5_TK1.wav, and Scene_5AB_TK1.wav” however the clip named Scene_5A_TK1.wav does not appear anywhere in resolve. I do see the clips in finder and they are on my system. I have copied them to a different folder for a test yet Resolve still does not see them.
Seems incredibly simple yet very frustrating. trust me, I’d rather be coloring...
Yes, I have rebooted and even tried to locate files on a different system running Resolve, all files play in itunes.
any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
jp

Resolve 10.0.2.001
Mac 12-core, OSX 10.8.5 44GB Ram
GUI GTX 120, GPU GTX 670, Red Rocket.
8TB Internal
50TB Cal Digit
Panasonic 50" Plasma
Tangent Wave

jpcolor

Return to posts index

John Petersen
Re: Unable to import Audio to Resolve
on Jan 23, 2014 at 4:57:44 pm

The answer is...
48K vs. 44.1K
Why the change I can’t say, someone screwed that up.
All the 48K went fine and sync worked perfectly.
We fixed the 44.1K outside of Resolve in Adobe media encoder.
Should/Could Resolve be able to bring in all audio and allow me to see the problem file instead of completely ignoring the file?

Thanks
jp

jpcolor

Return to posts index

Michael Tiemann
on Jan 26, 2014 at 2:36:02 pm

I am also having problems...importing 96K audio files. I thought Resolve was more forgiving than that...

Manifold Recording
Pittsboro, NC
http://manifoldrecording.com/

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 26, 2014 at 4:39:11 pm

Download wave agent. It's free. I routinely load up all the audio files in it ahead of time to check whether the files are 44 or 48 (or what i'm getting now which is 48048?), you can check timecode status, and scene and take information.

At the push of a button, you can alter any of the attributes, or batch everything. Make a copy of the originals, as the program defaults to over writing the files, but i believe there is an option to make new versions.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:07:24 am

[Michael Tiemann] "I am also having problems...importing 96K audio files. I thought Resolve was more forgiving than that..."
96kHz is extremely non-standard and never used for dialogue in film production, to my knowledge. If you need to use that for your project for some reason, then I would sync it up after the fact outside Resolve.

Return to posts index

Michael Tiemann
on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:25:42 am

I used Adobe Audition to batch-resample all my files (which are music files coming from a high-end audio project). But I am still so shell-shocked that Resolve chooses to crash with no message rather than protest that I'm doing basic grading in Resolve and finishing in Premiere. I simply don't want to find myself trapped in some rabbit hole where I've invested all kinds of time in Resolve that I cannot then port over to Premiere. If Resolve were better behaved about what it didn't like, I would not fear pushing its boundaries.

Manifold Recording
Pittsboro, NC

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:49:13 am

[Michael Tiemann] "But I am still so shell-shocked that Resolve chooses to crash with no message rather than protest that I'm doing basic grading in Resolve and finishing in Premiere."
I can't argue with you there. The program should have good enough error trapping that it should just pop up a message and say, "audio source files must be 48kHz for import" or something like that.

But I do think 96kHz is way unnecessary for normal location dialogue. I don't dispute that it's used for high-res music and sometimes for sound effects gathering.

Return to posts index

Michael Tiemann
on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:59:04 am
Last Edited By Michael Tiemann on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:00:29 pm

Mark, we agree. My project is a documentary about how a record is being made inside a high-end studio. The studio's digital infrastructure is all 96K, so I'm using the studio's digital files as replacement audio for what I captured from the cameras. As everybody knows, the Blackmagic Cinema Camera's audio capture capabilities (even when fed line-level signals) is so horribly bad that it is only useable as a guide track for synchronizing audio. If those cameras could capture a clean analog feed and not wreck it with a terrible preamp and inexcusable EQ and noise, then I could just feed the camera analog and be done with it. But since I cannot, I'm stuck with the digital files, hence my predicament.

I'm pretty happey with the BMCC video quality (much better than my other cameras costing less than $10K each), and Resolve does great things with BMD Film captures. But its been a real slog for me dealing with the gaps between what Resolve can do, should do, and will do in a workflow that requires multicamera editing, 96K audio, and AVCHD decoding. Which is why Premiere is now the 80% of my 80/20 workflow, rather than the 20% I anticipated when I started.

Manifold Recording
Pittsboro, NC

P.S. Here are two excerpts of some video showing the environment:

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:18:00 pm

Well, if you're making a video showing the inside of a high-end studio, then what I would do is just have a scratch track for video editing, and when you're done, export an OMF or an XML and reimport all the 96kHz tracks into Pro Tools and reconform the project. Do all the sound editing and mixing within Pro Tools, and then combine it all in final delivery. This is pretty much what's done with every major studio TV show and movie ever made.

Trying to do it all within Resolve is counterproductive (to me). I know that Blackmagic's intention is to position Resolve as a potential "all in one" finishing tool, but I don't think it's ideal for sound -- just as I think it's a bad idea to try to do color within FCP or Premiere. It's just a question of using the right tool for the right job.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]