FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mix and match GTX Titans with 3GB 580s

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Tomkins
Mix and match GTX Titans with 3GB 580s
on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:28:48 am

Hi all,

I currently have 2x 3GB GTX 580s for my GPU processing (GTX 285 for GUI). I want to beef up my 4k performance and I'm considering getting two Titans. Would it be better to replace the 580s completely or put the 580s in a Cubix and use all 4? What are the performance implications of mixing cards, do the faster cards have less utilisation once the slower cards max out?

Or would it be best to use a 580 for GUI and the two titans alone and select to use the 580 GUI for processing?

I'm running a hackintosh workstation (when on OS X, or just a 'PC' I guess when running windows). It has a total of 6 PCIe slots (P9X79 WS which when fully populated has four gen 3.0 x8 slots and two x4 slots). Other slots currently have a raid HBA (4x), decklink exteme IO (4x), Cubix HBA (8x), and the Cubix has a fw800 card and USB 3 card inside)

Any thoughts and advice welcome! Thank you.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Mix and match GTX Titans with 3GB 580s
on Jan 16, 2014 at 7:28:42 pm

[Toby Tomkins] "Would it be better to replace the 580s completely or put the 580s in a Cubix and use all 4? What are the performance implications of mixing cards, do the faster cards have less utilisation once the slower cards max out?"

Probably replace them if you can afford to, because the Cubix pipeline runs at the speed of the slowest card, so otherwise you are throwing away the Titan performance. Using the 580 as GUI plus render may not yield any appreciable difference once the Titans are doing the heavy lifting.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:36:14 pm

Ok. Thanks for the info. What if I took the GTX 285 out, left both 580s on the mobo, using one for GUI and the other for processing and then put the titans in the Cubix?

Return to posts index

Al Arnold
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:42:11 pm

Maybe if you had them (580's) bound with an SLI cable... Then resolve might see them as one Display card. Probably not necessary as I don't think it would improve performance... Maybe for gaming though. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]