FORUMS: list search recent posts

Balancing a Fujifilm reference board

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Saboya Burgos
Balancing a Fujifilm reference board
on Jan 10, 2014 at 3:38:16 pm

Hi, this may be a basic question, but I', not sure of what should I do:

I've received from a photographer a filmed board by Fugifilm… it has a variety of colors on it and what I presume to be 18% grey. The photographer wants me to color correct it so she can see it in another monitor for comparison - the thing is she didn't seem to be interested in checking it on my monitor for comparison…

I'm a beginner, so the question, actually, is very very basic: what should I do with it?

Here's a link to the print screen of the board:
6981_screenshot20140110at1.34.29pm.png.zip

Thanks

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Assistant Video Editor
Video Editor

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Balancing a Fujifilm reference board
on Jan 12, 2014 at 9:44:46 pm
Last Edited By Joseph Owens on Jan 12, 2014 at 9:46:28 pm

Comment also posted on Fujiboard

Looks like a pretty standard MacBeth Greitag chart on the right, and what Fuji would advertise as equivalent to the Kodak 18% CinemaTools chart. "Chart" is the correct terminology.

All three manufacturers will have recommendations as to what values you should set these up for with what would become a sort of LUT or basemem for your session. Some google surfing should bring up the correct documentation. I don't use them anymore... because...

We used to use these (or at least that was the theory) all the time to set up film transfers and to sort of calibrate a telecine to act as an extremely expensive sensitometer, because we had these charts with point/exposure correlations so we could relay the info back to the DP that film timers used to when rushing dailies.

For your purpose, I'd set up the brightest white square on the Macbeth to around 80IRE, the blackest area down to 0, of course, and then check the gamma linearity. Adjust seasonings to taste, as if they were, you know, salt and pepper and this was a recipe. When you have made the charts look nice, that's the "secret sauce" for this session. Don't expect it to apply to everything... or, really, anything because usually these charts are shot under circumstances that have nothing to do with the actual shooting environment. Every one of these values will change with exposure, lens choice (sometimes even from 'full wide' to 'tele' on a zoom), set lighting... you name it.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]