FORUMS: list search recent posts

If they added these two new features, Resolve would simply be the best color grader out there by a long shot IMO

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Ruffo
If they added these two new features, Resolve would simply be the best color grader out there by a long shot IMO
on Jan 4, 2014 at 6:31:17 am

1 - The new VS curves algorithms are amazing. No noise, super predictable behavior. If only these same curves could apply to alpha selection as well.

It would be fairly simple unless their underlying math is completely different from what I guess it to be. A new panel of VS alpha curves. So Hue vs alpha, Sat vs alpha, etc.

If you think about it hue vs luma, for example, is almost exactly the same, only it's adding luma to a whole color image rather to a black and white alpha image (which one would think would actually be even less processor intensive.)

2 - Add Alpha to the splitter/combiner node set of elements. Then I could put curves on the alpha, blur it, noise reduce it use plugins on it- anything I want. Would solve a LOT of problems VERY quickly.

Now I know I am a vocal non-fan of BM cameras and pricing philosophies, which I have frequently described as a "race to the bottom" but even I would be willing to admit that Resolve would then be the best grader out there by far, and I do hope that BM will not hold their understandable antipathy toward me as a reason to never implement these ideas. I am not a friend of BMs, but I am a friend of saving time and getting better results and making beautiful images.

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
Re: If they added these two new features, Resolve would simply be the best color grader out there by a long shot IMO
on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:14:19 am

Anyone agree?

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: If they added these two new features, Resolve would simply be the best color grader out there by a long shot IMO
on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:45:54 pm

I agree but I also think there will always be 'two more features' (-; they've done SO MUCH between 8 and 10 in two years it's incredible.

I would love to see more support for alpha. If alpha could be treated like a channel and so be treated like RGB and any node, that would indeed be incredible!

I like working with disco mattes (rgb mattes) however and then things might get complicated/too processor intensive.

Alpha support is fairly new itself and it's been great to have it, but yes it would be great if the alpha toolset expanded.

BM want DaVinci to be a fully fledged online editor and a better alpha toolset could help it leapfrog the alternatives, becoming more a finishing station like Flame and open up a whole new market for them, so maybe it's already in development! If DV goes down that route then nested node trees like in Nuke night start to become necessary! One of the strongest things about DV is its simplicity and stripped back UI. It could be hard to add all these new features and keep it that way.

Keep up the good work BM!

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:16:18 am

Just add an alpha curves panel within or next to the existing curves pages.

"hue Vs alpha is self-evident if you understand what the existing curves do.

Combiner node having one more icon/node in the tree is not really adding complication either

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]