FORUMS: list search recent posts

Value Priced Expansion Chassis?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Ober
Value Priced Expansion Chassis?
on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:35:17 pm

Hello Folks,

Anybody have a recommendation for a sub 1k? expansion chassis with 3 or more slots?

This would be for a Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and not necessarily for graphics cards as I have Resolve Lite and don't expect to go beyond my single Titan anytime soon.

Thanks in advance,
Robert A. Ober
http://www.infohou.com

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Value Priced Expansion Chassis?
on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:06:19 am

Well what do you want to put in the chassis?

Not full speed but NetStor has some lower cost expansion chassis. Can't vouch for them personally, as I'm quite happy with my Cubixs.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:12:52 am

Hey,

Probably my IO Xpress PCIe card and my HBA for my LTO drive will go in the expansion chassis. Saw the NetStor at B&H I believe so that is in the running. I would put my BMD Intensity Pro (not really a Pro card but we won't go there) in there also if it and the AJA would get along.

Thanks LGG man,
Robert:-)

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:12:35 am

Rob, do you have your titan in the Mac Pro 4.1?
Do you have power issues?

thanks

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:37:30 pm

[Laco Gaal] "
Rob, do you have your titan in the Mac Pro 4.1?"

I do.

[Laco Gaal] "Do you have power issues?"

Nope, I have a FSP Booster X5 auxilary power supply. There is one left at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IZE5RE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=U...

Newegg has an X3, but I could not find an X5 there. They are in short supply for some reason. Perhaps the X5 has been discontinued.

I have not done any custom work to my case so I have the side panel off because of the wires, but my Mac Pro is an a DIT cart sitting sideways so it's fairly protected. There are threads in some forums on routing the wires from the X5.

Hope that helps,
Robert
PS: Anybody got any other ideas on a value priced expansion chassis?

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:51:24 pm

Just wait a little. All those used PCI expansion chassis will become available, when users decide to move onto the nMP.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Dec 31, 2013 at 8:19:46 pm
Last Edited By Robert Ober on Dec 31, 2013 at 8:33:25 pm

[jake blackstone] "Just wait a little. All those used PCI expansion chassis will become available, when users decide to move onto the nMP."

Maybe, maybe not.

The folks with expansion chassis are mostly folks working on movies, etc. They (and me) have a lot of money and workflow invested in what they have. I betting most of those folks will wait many months or even years before upgrading. Can the AMD GPU's really do what multiple Nvidias are currently capable of in many pro apps? How many folks can afford to replace SAS arrays and AJA cards with Thunderbolt devices in this economy and race to the bottom pricing for production/postproduction services?

But I am just a notalentwannabe so what do I know?

Y'all be cool,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:16:23 am

Well, I just did...
Sold the Quadros, sold the Aja AND Decklink, the memory and everything MacPro 5.x
The Tin Can is on its way, two Areca TB Raids are ready, a miniMonitor will do the SDI/HDMI output and two 500 GB SSDs the external transport.
I think its a matter of weeks for the first TB extensions to pop up, I say NAB and then people can use their old RED cards as well.
GPU wise I have high hope for those Dual D700s ... we will see

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.0.0.073 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:02:06 pm

[Sascha Haber] " Well, I just did...
Sold the Quadros, sold the Aja AND Decklink, the memory and everything MacPro 5.x
The Tin Can is on its way, two Areca TB Raids are ready, a miniMonitor will do the SDI/HDMI output and two 500 GB SSDs the external transport."

Hey,

You're a brave man, you do know the rule(s) about 1.0 products, eh?

I wish you luck! Please let us know how it goes.

Robert:-)

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Jan 2, 2014 at 4:24:34 pm

As someone that goes to client sites at times I am considering the "trashcan" because of portability. I have a gtx680 classified in the MP 5.1 and two gtx580 classifieds in the expansion chassis. I rarely take the chassis b/c it doesn't make sense for spot work. I would like the speed though and putting $1k in a titan doesn't make sense anymore to me.

Let's get some real world bench marks to help with the decision process! The Pioneers get shot, the Settlers get the land!

Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Consultant
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:06:03 pm

First off, happy Gregorian New Year to all...!

So, I've been having this conversation ever since the coffeecan MacPro started looking less like vapourware and started manifesting as a real thing. And as we all know it turns out to be a .... something else we have to work around. If you are starting fresh, no investment in peripherals or legacy third-party devices that run on busses that are no longer available... well, good, but otherwise, gee, too bad. "Shoulda waited...." Really? Seth and Amy could have some fun with that.

What about 4K and Thunderbolt? Well, to be blunt... what about it? Been working with higher resolution for some time now -- yes, it took some investment to do it, but its working, and T-Bolt seems like a poor-man's fibre, which... I've had in the shop ever since the beginning. The skype chat from this morning finished up along the lines of -- can I charge any more for it if I'm running the same applications on a different platform? No. Is that a good business practice to splash out even more after-tax earnings on depreciates-right-off-the-cliff hardware?

Will Apple find a way to obsolete me? Yes. OS that kills legacy software and doesn't run on the motherboard, that's always a good one. But here's a thing - in my market sector, one of the prime deliverables is a closed-captioned HD-tape master. Apple actually fenced themselves OUT of that sector by killing FCP7 in favour of a net-streaming edit app. Weird. Now I do realize that uploading air masters or striking XDCam disks is a trend... but so far: a) the "mezzanine" file hasn't really been formalized (ProRes? DNxHD? H264?, how many audio tracks and channel assignment for full mix and stems? and so on) and b) XDCam? 8-bit, 1440 50MBits is whose idea of master quality?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:10:57 pm

[Joseph Owens] "ut here's a thing - in my market sector, one of the prime deliverables is a closed-captioned HD-tape master. Apple actually fenced themselves OUT of that sector by killing FCP7 in favour of a net-streaming edit app."

Yeah, folks forget that many big movies are edited on MC 5.5 . And much other work is still on FCP7.

I would be interested in how folks are doing 4K, not UHD, with a legacy Mac Pro.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Jan 4, 2014 at 6:06:24 am

4K is easy - work in 1/4 res in Premiere/DaVinci, (looks fine for working, paused res is full) render at 4K if needed.

This works like butter on 12 core Mac Pro. Same goes for full 5K. Day in, day out.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:03:02 pm

[Robert Ruffo] "K is easy - work in 1/4 res in Premiere/DaVinci, (looks fine for working, paused res is full) render at 4K if needed.

This works like butter on 12 core Mac Pro. Same goes for full 5K. Day in, day out."

Good point.

BTW folks, not sure anybody mentioned that Thunderbolt(2) is slower than PCIe(3).

I would really be interested in a setup like Juan's translated to the ashcan Mac Pro. For that I am assuming Cuda cards in a TBolt expansion chassis. Let's don't forget that other apps besides Resolve want Cuda for certain things.

While I am somewhat on the subject, when are OS and compiler folks going to make it easy for developers so that EVERYTHING uses all the cores/virtual cores and GPU's?

If anyone still cares, I bought the Dynapower USA NA211A-GPU Netstor at B&H and they are waiting on it to come in. I may even put my GTX570 in it for testing. Resolve Lite won't see it but I wonder if CS6 something will.

Y'all be cool,
Robert A. Ober
http://www.infohou.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:06:25 pm

[Clark Bierbaum] "Let's get some real world bench marks to help with the decision process! The Pioneers get shot, the Settlers get the land!"

Yep, I have not yet checked barefeats.com so maybe soon.

I suspect folks are working on padded cases.

Y'all be cool,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:55:47 pm
Last Edited By jake blackstone on Jan 2, 2014 at 9:58:09 pm

"Maybe, maybe not.
The folks with expansion chassis are mostly folks working on movies, etc. They (and me) have a lot of money and workflow invested in what they have. I betting most of those folks will wait many months or even years before upgrading. Can the AMD GPU's really do what multiple Nvidias are currently capable of in many pro apps? How many folks can afford to replace SAS arrays and AJA cards with Thunderbolt devices in this economy and race to the bottom pricing for production/postproduction services?
But I am just a notalentwannabe so what do I know?"

Robert A. Ober

Well, I guess your sage advice in not so… sagie:-)
The answer to your opinion is right underneath your post…

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:17:41 pm

[jake blackstone] "Well, I guess your sage advice in not so… sagie:-)
The answer to your opinion is right underneath your post…"

If you mean my notalentwannabe notice then I would point out that I mean that partially tongue in cheek. I am a longtime IT Consultant and have followed the production/postproduction world for more than ten years.

Despite what the corporate media may tell you, many folks are slow to upgrade. Especially to a 1.0 product or software. My small business clients still have a significant percentage of folks on Windows XP. My number one client by volume has two servers, one is 5 years old and one is ten years old. As you may know, the economy has not recovered for everyone.

Take it EZ,
Robert

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jan 3, 2014 at 1:22:30 am
Last Edited By jake blackstone on Jan 3, 2014 at 1:46:34 am

I believe you're in the wrong forum Robert.
You're talking about the crowd, that has no compunction upgrading their software in the middle of the project. You are talking about the crowd, that always upgrades the software the moment it comes out without testing it or an actual need to upgrade it. You're talking about the crowd, that rather quickly posts a question, when a simple google search will suffuse or will contract a job, while spending all night watching tutorials on the use of software. Need I go on? As I said Robert, you're in the wrong place, if you think normal upgrading cycles or clear business planning is in play here. People here will spend $10K and more on the nMP, just to get a single or low double digit increase in performance over the 2012 MP. All that while not many have clear idea on how to even recoup this mostly unneeded expenditure. But have no doubt Robert, spend they will!

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:52:36 pm

[jake blackstone] "But have no doubt Robert, spend they will!"

Jake we are just going to have to get you to come out of your shell and tell us what you think;-)

Robert

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jan 12, 2014 at 9:57:34 am

Expansion question is interesting but we have lost it somewhat in the thread now ? ;)

I'd say depends on a business model it should be reasonable to write off all your tech in year or two so
upgrading after that seems reasonable. (i do not mean full Linux resolve here but mac based Resolve)

Computer gear gets old in 2 years anyway and if you are lucky you can expand your cycle to 4 years or so ?

Ok maybe you could expand it to 6 years but then you definitely will suffer from productivity loss.

Mostly people here talk about MacCan if they can get one for testing or have actual need.
I do not see it as a hobby.

Somewhat this trend will separate movies in the future maybe if tree will not be good expansion solutions for TB.
What i mean is the Can would be sufficient for jobs like current Pro model but for really heavy
use one would like to go to Linux route anyway.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>