FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to divide a big project into two parts?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Anderson
How to divide a big project into two parts?
on Dec 25, 2013 at 9:06:40 am

The project start one year ago, with just hundreds of shots.
After a year, it became really big now. More than 3000 red shots and more than 1000 VFX DPX shots totally imported into media pool. And 10 reels of editing.
Each time the system crashed, although not often, it would take about at least 15 minutes to re-enter the project. This is quite embarrassing as you have producer, direct and DP around.
So I'm thinking about divide the project into two, each project contain 5 reels with only the shots related.
Is there a way to do that?

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: How to divide a big project into two parts?
on Dec 25, 2013 at 5:40:58 pm

Export the project so you have a backup before you do the following.

Duplicate the project. Delete half the reels from one copy of it and the other half of the reels from the other copy. Then, for each project, in the media pool, show the 'Usage' column (right click the column headers). Select all the clips and choose 'Update Usage Data'. Resolve will update the 'Usage' column for each clip with a number showing how many time it's used. If you sort on this column, you'll easily be able to select all the clips that aren't being used at all by the sequences remaining in that project, and you can remove them from the media pool.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Dec 26, 2013 at 4:34:11 pm

chris thx, good to know!

Return to posts index

Nick Anderson
on Dec 27, 2013 at 12:28:42 am

It is the perfect solution, thanks!

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:09:24 pm

And I recommend dividing it to more than 2 projects/reels before rendering. just had to divide a 1,5h film into 5 reels before could render it without errors, RED and DPX FX shots etc..

This was with V9, don't know if it's better with V10.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 31, 2013 at 8:16:42 pm

[Timo Teravainen] "And I recommend dividing it to more than 2 projects/reels before rendering. just had to divide a 1,5h film into 5 reels before could render it without errors, RED and DPX FX shots etc..

This was with V9, don't know if it's better with V10."

We used to routinely use one project per reel, but V10 is handling 4-6 reel features fine in a single project. Save times are a little slower, of course, but still not too bad. How well this works will obviously depend on how many clips are in the media pool, how many shots are in the sequences, what hardware you're using, etc. The projects we've tested this with have been very 'neat' — media pool containing only precisely trimmed versions of clips in the sequences, etc.

We adopted the 'one reel per project' approach way back on V7 and I didn't really systematically test putting all reels in a single project on V9, though, so I'm not sure when exactly this started being practical.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Jan 2, 2014 at 1:22:15 pm

just an info:

resolve 10 setup, one project 95min alexa 2k, no render problem at all.
60min red footage, one project, no worries as well!

(including some dpx vfx shots on both projects)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]