FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid mixed media to Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam mcclelland
Avid mixed media to Resolve
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:25:15 pm

Hello Community,

I'm trying to solve a fairly a round trip issue and any help will be appreciated.

Tech Specs:
OSX 10.8.5
AVID 7.0.2
DaVinci Resolve Lite 10.0.2lite.001

I have a multi media project I'm trying to load in to Davinci. It's everything from R3D to iPhone material. We've been working offline DNX 36 for the RED material. This was created in REDCine-X and AMA'd to AVID. Other material was ingested and transcoded to DNX 36 by AVID.

So we are the end of the this edit and I'm at a loss on how to get this loaded into Davinci. My usual workflows are only partially effective. In the past with 100% RED I'd send an EDL to REDCine-x, reconnect and trim the clips, then send that EDL to Resolve. But this mixed media is a whole different can of worms. I can basically get one or the other. The RED files show up or alternate media. But even when the alternate media loads, some files will remain offline for reasons I've yet to understand, or be in the complete wrong place despite their file name. I've tried EDLs and AAFs and I'm getting very different results. In general I'm less familiar with complex AVID workflows and I'm feeling burnt by it at the moment.

I've possibly approached this the wrong way and wonder if anyone that has onlined a smilier project than can advise me on the best approach? I've spent hours and I'm still stumped. I would have had better results matching by eye.

Again. Any help is much appreciated. Soon I will begin to eat my own head.

Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Avid mixed media to Resolve
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:43:18 am

What if you converted all the media to DNxHD36?

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:11:18 pm

Hi, the different clip types may need different settings to get the reel name correct. Try setting the conform settings to get all the r3d conformed, the in the media pool, sort by codec to separate all the r3d, select another codec group of clips and go to clip attributes, change the reel name setting to get that codes clips conformed, repeat for each group.
Peter

Return to posts index

adam mcclelland
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:07:41 pm

Thanks for the responses.

@ Marc - All the media had been conformed to DNX 36 in one of two ways. R3Ds were converted in Redcine-x while the remaining material was directly ingested by AVID and converted to DNX 36. The troublesome files are actually the ones ingested by AVID which I find pretty confusing.

@ Peter - I will try that. Right now the R3Ds have been the easiest to deal with (flawless). I'll separate the rest by codec and see where that leaves me. I may be wrong, but when I look at the clip attributes, it doesn't look like I have the options to change the reel settings. Is this something I should address on the AVID side or in Resolve?

Thanks,

Adam

I've had the most success with the following workflow. Which is only mildly successful.

Export EDL (File-16) from AVID
Import EDL in REDCine-X and Trim R3Ds. Sending those to the Media Pool folder.
Copy all non-RED footage to Media Pool (the originals). Various formats. DNX 175, H264, Prores HQ. (both 23.98 and 29.97)
Import EDL into Resolve.
RED footage links up 100%. √
50% of the other footage links. √
Some clips have a conflict alert. I select the correct one and then it links up perfectly. √
For the remaining clips I have to select the shot and the corresponding clip and "force conform." This process doesn't keep any timecode info (in and outs). So I then have to match by eye.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:14:24 am

Hi, in the Resolve, Media page, when you select a clip or multiple clips, the clip attributes has tab for reel name. As long as you have uses the 'Assist using...' in the Project settings to conform some clips.. like your r3d, this Clip attributes option lets you change other clips reel name calculations.. you can see this update when you select ok on the dialog.
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]