FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing DPX into Resolve / workflow for music video

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Penelope Wylder
Importing DPX into Resolve / workflow for music video
on Dec 16, 2013 at 7:44:15 pm

I haven't as yet worked with DPX files in Resolve and so wanted some advice as to the set-up of my project.

The client are supplying me with a DPX sequence of a music video to grade.

How do I import a DPX sequence into Resolve? Is it the same methodology as importing other clip types ie. "Add folder and sub-folders into media pool?"

Do I need an XML from Premiere Pro as well?

Sorry for the basic questions, I just want to make sure I get the set-up correct!

Regards, Penny

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
Re: Importing DPX into Resolve / workflow for music video
on Dec 16, 2013 at 8:23:43 pm

The DPX frames will appear as individual clips in the Media window. Are these selects? i.e. did they get exported with original timecode from a scan? If so you will probably need a EDL or other to properly assemble them on the timeline. If it was some kins of edited export with the DPX frames and TC in a single sequence then no EDL needed. Also you can use scene cut detection on DPX.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

2X Resolve 18Tb and 24Tb Dual GTX580's HD Telecine and 4K Film scanner plus a film lab.

Return to posts index

Penelope Wylder
on Dec 16, 2013 at 8:56:41 pm

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for your speedy reply...in answer to your questions:

I'm not entirely sure as I didn't do the conform, but I assume that this is what they did - they edited the music video in Premiere Pro (shot on both RED and 5D - mostly RED), re-conformed to original rushes at picture lock and then exported out to DPX. Once again, I'm not entirely sure but this is the most likely sceanrio.

So I assume what I am getting is a DPX sequence of the whole music video...in which case, will it come in as one clip and I can use scene detection to break it up?

Also, how does Resolve handle log / linear color spaces? Will it automatically know to use a log cineon curve for DPX or do I have to manually set that?

Also, how do I set up my project settings? I assume the DPX are 2k...so I assume I set my project settings also to 2k...but as it's DPX, what do I do with fps? Do I only need to worry about this when it comes to export (I need to deliver at Apple Prores 444 25fps)?

Thanks again for any advice - so much appreciated!

P

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:34:56 am

You should ask for fps for sure from your client.

If on long row of images then you definitely have to break it up in scene cut.

It would be good idea to ask for reference file also so you can check it the
footage on your timeline is exactly the same.

I also hope that they do not do dlx from Premiere / Encoder forced combo.

As for curve you should manage this part by yourself as
this is the whole point to have really flexible ad total control over it.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Dec 18, 2013 at 3:00:41 am

It sounds like the finished video but I would ask for a quicktime reference as Marcus said.

I would bring the clip into Resolve and run Scene Cut on it and not worry about Log or Lin as you will be grading on a Rec-709 monitor I presume. I tend to stay away from dropping a LUT on and just start grading it, I think LUTs restrict what you can do in the grade and most are things which are better done by hand.

AS far as frame size DPX is any frame size you want (can be 12K IMAX..;-)) you can bring the clip in and there will be a frame size in the clip info. You can either use the project setting dropdown to set resolution or manually key in the frame size of it is not in the standard resolve settings.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

2X Resolve With Titans, Wave and Element Panels. Telecine and 4K Film Data Scans 8mm,16mm,35mm film lab.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Dec 21, 2013 at 4:56:34 pm

Ask editorial for an EDL and bring in the DPX sequence as a preconform using that EDL. There is no reason to use either scene detection or manually cut it up if an EDL is available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]