FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibrating BT300 using LightSpace

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mats Andersen
Calibrating BT300 using LightSpace
on Dec 15, 2013 at 1:34:50 pm

Hello

I am doing a calibration of a BT300 using LightSpace.

I am a bit confused regarding video/data range.

When I use data range in resolve and look at the bars and black image the bars looks correct when I am in edit mode (Resolve10),

When I switch to Color mode and look at the same image the blacks get to dark.

Why does these two look different ?

When I use video levels the bars look the same in Edit and Color mode.

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Calibrating BT300 using LightSpace
on Dec 15, 2013 at 6:58:12 pm

Use video levels. Use Lightspace test patterns in DaVinci to set brightness and contrast. I'd recommend Cinema mode with native gamut to start. The wide gamut can be comfortably brought to rec709 with a LUT. If you need the brightness higher use Standard mode with native gamut but in that mode I find ABL more noticeable as white will be much brighter when small in area than when a large proportion of the screen is white/bright

Get the brightness/contrast right with the desired brightness from the light space set up images. Work out a patch size that works for you (I went for smallest in davinci, so ABL wouldn't effect the profile, but arguably you could go for larger patches....)

Good luck

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Dec 16, 2013 at 10:18:50 pm

[Toby Tomkins] "Get the brightness/contrast right with the desired brightness from the light space set up images. Work out a patch size that works for you (I went for smallest in davinci, so ABL wouldn't effect the profile, but arguably you could go for larger patches....)"

Did PatchSize support get added into the LightSpace calibration panel in Resolve 10.0.2 ? I've packed up the laptop I used for Lightspace in my XMas vacation luggage, so I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

Return to posts index

Mats Andersen
on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:53:35 pm

Thanks for your reply - I used video levels.

This is the first time I did a calibration for this screen. I used the normal mode with digital cinema gamut.
I will try your suggestion with the cinema mode / native gamut next time I calibrate.

But the result doesn´t look bad. Just made a calibration test that I will screen at a cinema tomorrow ..

I did not find out how to adjust the patch size form Resolve so I used the output from the LightSpace laptop instead.

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:00:55 pm

What is your target? 709 or P3? I don't think the DCI gamut will give you a good starting point as I think its set up for DCI input.

Also you need to calibrate for your colour pipeline, ie out of your Resolve / video IO card, going through your laptops DVI/HDMI port won't necessarily give you the same output. You need to be sending the display a video signal, not a RGB signal which the laptop is probably sending.

Return to posts index

Mats Andersen
on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:23:45 pm

My final target is a DCP master. My idea was to do a Rec709 videorange calibration on the BT300 and then tell the "lab" to take this into consideration when making the DCP. It did not seem possible to calibrate this screen for a DCI P3 setup. But have I misunderstood something ?

Also thanks for advice regarding pipeline - I will redo the calibration through Resolve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]