FORUMS: list search recent posts

virtual elements for grading

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kim krause
virtual elements for grading
on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:47:28 am

anyone have any info when this might happen....i remember their first attempt that you could use with color and as a virtual trackball it wasnt half bad....this could make for an interesting "on set" portable grading solution.....
http://www.tangentwave.co.uk/products_element_vs.asp

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
Re: virtual elements for grading
on Dec 5, 2013 at 3:42:33 am

It's really disappointing that Tangent doesn't seem to be attempting to evolve beyond a skeuomorphic vision of what a colorist control surface on a touch based interface could be.

Peter Salvia reposted my criticism of their previous vWave app here: http://petersalvia.wordpress.com/tag/mel-matsuoka/ , and everything I said back then appears to hold true. This certainly looks cool, and could even be useful in limited specific situations, but to just develop a tabletized mirror of a physical control surface wastes a lot of the potential that a gesture driven, touch based interface could offer.

Return to posts index

kim krause
Re: virtual elements for grading
on Dec 5, 2013 at 6:23:07 am

while i tend to agree that something different might work especially given the limited size of the ipad screen, i think that creating an interface that resembles a real world object makes it much more familiar and easier to start using...most colourists recognise and have used trackballs with xyz and rotation controls and virtual buttons that replicate the real buttons on a device make a lot more sense. just doing it different for the sake of being different doesnt always work..skeuomorphism has a place in how we interact with technology and to just throw out what works is not always such a good thing. in the case of the trackballs, the main reason they are so intuitive is that their position relates to the the values displayed on the vectorscope making it much easier to co-ordinate eye and hand control. push the ball to the red and the picture goes red...move to the blue and it turns blue...likewise when you rotate a control to the right you increase a value and left decreases.....if you have ever tried to use the sliders on the davinci interface i'm sure you would agree.....also from what i see this interface can be used to supplement and replace certain parts of the elements control surface so i think it really should try and look like its and extension of that....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]