FORUMS: list search recent posts

Achieving Minus Green on a backlight in a shot

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erick Wilczynski
Achieving Minus Green on a backlight in a shot
on Dec 2, 2013 at 12:29:52 am

I am a DIT on a low budge feature and today they shot a scene in which they used overhead kitchen lights which were awfully green.

I am green as a professional grader but am comfortable enough with Davinci to live grade dailies.

Do any of you have any advice for fixing the green? I know it should've been minus greened on the day but the crew wanted to roll on it anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

E

-E
-vimeo.com/36013051 (reel)
-RambozMediaGroup.com (production house)

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Achieving Minus Green on a backlight in a shot
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:03:27 pm

[Erick Wilczynski] "Do any of you have any advice for fixing the green? I know it should've been minus greened on the day but the crew wanted to roll on it anyway."

If it is in a mixed light (various principle sources of different colour temperatures) situation, then you have a secondary-qualification type of problem. Ordinarily you DO NOT fix this on set or in dailies and you leave it to the final grade, so that you do not hoop the finishing colorist.

Someone probably uttered the phrase "fix it in post" as if they had the budget for it. Your circumstance is described as NO/LO, so maybe they are expecting you to grade their project on-the-fly... not ideal.

An overall balance, auto or not, will not fix this issue because there may be elements in the scene that you do not want to affect.

If you are committed to pre-grade the shot, then a secondary qualification might give you enough separation to leave those other hues alone, and only affect the "pronounced" green. Otherwise, you are skating on very, very thin ice.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]