FORUMS: list search recent posts

weird artifact while adjusting luma curve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alessio Occhiodoro
weird artifact while adjusting luma curve
on Nov 24, 2013 at 2:36:48 pm

Hi all!
I just started using davinci, i filmed with a Canon 5D mkII, technicolor cinestyle profile, i'm poasting the magiclantern log here
ISO : 160
Shutter : 1/203.907s
Aperture : f/4.0
Focal length : 50 mm
Focus distance : 0 mm
White Balance : 1 - Sunny, Magenta 2, Blue 0
Picture Style : CineStyle (3,0,0,0)
FPS : 25.045
Bit Rate (CBR) : 1.0x

aaaand i'm having this horrible artifact when i bring down the lowlights in my luma curve;
before applying the curves

after (see fullscreen):

you can see a lot of grayish noise in the blacks, that was not present in the source file, nor comes up with other cc programs (premiere, looks)....what can this be? program bug? anyone encountered the same problem? found solutions?
thanks in advance
Alessio

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: weird artifact while adjusting luma curve
on Nov 25, 2013 at 1:18:12 am

How does it look on the grading monitor? Could this be 8 bit sampling on the UI monitor?
Peter

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: weird artifact while adjusting luma curve
on Nov 25, 2013 at 5:46:32 am

[Alessio Occhiodoro] "aaaand i'm having this horrible artifact when i bring down the lowlights in my luma curve"
What happens if you try to adjust it without curves, outside the log mode, in the normal liner mode? What about if you eliminate the LUT?

Anything with an ISO of 160 is gonna have to have a lot of light. What do the histograms look like? You're going to need a good meaty exposure and lots of fill in order to get detail out of the blacks on something like this. I don't see this as a Resolve problem; this is a question of aesthetics and technical decisions.

I do find you have to be very, very careful doing anything with curves in 8-bit material, and sometimes extra points can give you greater smoothness and less "steppiness." But in truth, I think you can often get there just with lift, gamma, and gain 90% of the time, unless it's really a problematic exposure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]