FORUMS: list search recent posts

"GPU Memory full" errors after update from v9 to v10

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Conforti
"GPU Memory full" errors after update from v9 to v10
on Nov 22, 2013 at 7:08:32 am

Hi there, I really need some help on this since I can't seem to fix the problem that bricked my grading suite after my update to v10.

MY CONFIG:

Mac Pro 8 core 4,1 with 48Gb RAM
EVGA GTX 570 (macvidcards) with 2.5Gb VRAM
GT120
Mountain Lion 10.8.4
CUDA driver 5.5.28 (tried 5.5.25 before since it was recommended for OSX 10.8.4, but it did not work too)

Everything was going fine with my setup, even when grading with tons of nodes, HD was no problem, almost realtime. So I waited for the final v10 and did the update. Ok, I know I should have made a backup partition but I couldnt because did not have enough space in my SSD system disk for another OSX installation and all... anyway, I tried to do everything right so I checked the recommended CUDA driver version for my 10.8.4 system, downloaded on NVidia's website and installed it... but now Resolve keeps telling me at the he login screen that my hardware is not powerful enough.

But the main problem is that now it basically cannot play nor render anything without getting "GPU Memory full" messages.

I tried everything I could think of: resetting the PRAM, the SMC, installing previous versions of the CUDA driver, uninstalling Resolve and installing v9 again... but now even v9 show the same message, so I dont know what to do.

I am working with prores 2k and HD 444 files. Tried to lower the timeline resolution, and with SD resolutions it works (but with a much lower performance thas previously). Should I expect such a performance drop with this new version? And what can I do to fix this problem? I am willing to reinstall v9 as long as I can have it back to work.

Thanks,

Pedro

Pedro Conforti :: Colorist
pedroconforti.com
-----------------------

DaVinci Resolve
Mac Pro 8 core 2.26Ghz 48Gb RAM
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion
GTX 570 2.5Gb (macvidcards) + GT120
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: "GPU Memory full" errors after update from v9 to v10
on Nov 22, 2013 at 7:20:30 am

Maybe you have turned on use guy as gpu also and this bogs it down ?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Pedro Conforti
on Nov 22, 2013 at 3:32:12 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

So the strangest thing just happened: problem is "magically" gone. Will try to describe so it may help anyone, but I doubt it since I can't figure what happened for the problem to disappear.

After many (MANY) boots, PRAM and SMC resets, setting the software for using less resources (8 bits, no gui update, etc.), uninstalling v10 and reinstalling v9 -and doing the same with many versions of the CUDA drivers, nothing would work, so I ended up installing v9 back again, which used to work well, but with the latest CUDA driver this time (5.5.28 - I tried 5.5.25 but it did not work properly for me). But I was still getting the same errors of of "GPU memory full" where used to be none when I was running v9 with some older 5.0 CUDA driver.

So I gave up and went to sleep (just me - I never turn off my Mac Pro, neither put it to sleep). And I woke up this morning, ran v9 again... and noticed the "Insufficient Hardware" warning was gone after the login screen. So I opened my last session and everything was fine again. As I did the ultimate mistake of saving the session when I installed v10, I could not open in in v9, so I was brave (or stupid) enough to, after all of this, reinstall v10 over v9, with the strong belief that since the CUDA / GPU memory errors were gone, it would work. And it did.

So far everything back to normal. But as I said, cannot figure what happened after I went to bed... the TI fairy, maybe? :D

Pedro

pedroconforti.com
-----------------------

DaVinci Resolve
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

John Reis
on Dec 12, 2013 at 12:15:43 am

Having GPU Full error on my laptop. Did you figure it out?

MacBook Pro w Retina display
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7
8GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
OS X 10.8.5
Running Resolve Lite 10

Return to posts index

Pedro Conforti
on Dec 12, 2013 at 12:21:17 am

Hi John,

I got rid of the problem by uninstalling the NVidia CUDA driver and reinstalling a previous version. I'd suggest you to check if you are running the recommended CUDA driver version (which varies depending on your OSX version), and even if you are, uninstalling in and reinstalling again, or maybe a previous different version. It worked for me. I am running 10.8.4 and CUDA 5.5.28 on a GTX570

Best,

Pedro

pedroconforti.com
-----------------------

DaVinci Resolve
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

John Reis
on Dec 12, 2013 at 12:33:09 am

I have actually ever run 9 on this machine. Only 10. Ill look up the info on CUDA Drivers. It was working fine a month ago. Ive since installed Cloud. That is the only change

Return to posts index

Joseph Mastantuono
on Nov 22, 2013 at 12:24:44 pm

I have a very similar setup, and I'm not having any issues with v10.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index

John Reis
on Dec 12, 2013 at 1:17:48 am

I am running CUDA 5.5.28, on 10.8.5.

IntelHD Graphics 4000/NIVIDIA GT 650M

LIke I said it all worked fine until I installed cloud

Return to posts index

David Hover
on Apr 12, 2014 at 10:02:04 pm

Updated CUDA. Solved the problem for me.

Return to posts index

Oscar Garcia
on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:39:35 am

I solved it, the problem is the playback, it's trying to play the sequence "RAW" in 16 bits/sec, and if you have a 2k file or above, it's a recipe for a good crash, so heres what I did, in the project settings I changed the playback from 2k- 16bit/sec to way below the 480i, since this is just for monitoring I sent it to just NTSC 16x9, and the workflow is very smooth, similar to how you would treat EDL's when dealing with laaarge formats, you edit on low res for good playback and render in high res. Oscar 1 - DaVinci 0.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]