FORUMS: list search recent posts

avid aaf observations....

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew sableton
avid aaf observations....
on Nov 21, 2013 at 11:09:42 pm

AVID Symphony 6.5.2 and Davinci 9.1.3

Export AAF from AVID, import it into Davinci. I tell Davinci to "Automatically import source clips into media pool". It never, ever finds any of the clips and asks for another folder to look for. I direct it to the AVID MEDIA FILES folder and it links up all the clips. Annoying bug but I guess it works this way.....

Note.....I find that if I manually add all the media to the media pool and then import the AAF I get erratic results.....most of it links up fine but 5 - 10 percent of the clips will be wrong in one way or another if I do this...... if I just select the folder when prompted on import it nearly always works perfectly....

As for relinking in AVID after changes have been made to an initial grade.....that is an art in itself....

I used to buy the cool aid on the wonderful AVID media management system......but now realise it is at least as buggy and much less flexible than the FCP 7 setup....

:(

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: avid aaf observations....
on Nov 22, 2013 at 6:09:27 pm

[andrew sableton] "I used to buy the cool aid on the wonderful AVID media management system......but now realise it is at least as buggy and much less flexible than the FCP 7 setup...."

Its a philosophical proposition that only someone who is conversant with both can really judge. I don't know AVID nearly well enough to be able to comment definitively, but I do find its "Avid MediaFiles or nothing", don't even spell it wrong and make sure there is no space between Media and Files... to be a bit prehistorically rigid (calcified, petrified?). I also find that unless an editor has... oh, something equivalent to an engineering degree, they are all terrified and distrustful of AMA. "Oh, no, we're pretty sure that Media will go off line and will be lost to us, and that's why we can't send the project to you..."

That's what I hear, over and over. And you would have to hold a gun to the editor's head to get them to even attempt a reconnect.

Meanwhile, having navigated a couple of season cycles of a drama, I find that I have better luck roundtripping AAFs that I have opened in my own instance of Media Composer and/or Symphony, made my own indigenous version, and opened and regenerated that through Resolve. Works almost every time, with no juice loss. Also works better if you clean the list of stuff that Resolve can't or won't handle.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]