FORUMS: list search recent posts

Methods for getting screening notes into resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Jencks
Methods for getting screening notes into resolve?
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:49:59 pm

Hi folks, I work primarily on features, and like to take notes on films as they play in real time. Since the resolve markers feature doesn't let you associate notes with markers I typically take notes using something like Cut Notes on Tcoder. Both of these can create XMLs with markers with notes, but it seems that theres no way to import these into resolve.

Similarly, even just using a hard copy of the timecodes is a bit frustrating since there is no way to type in a timecode and go to a location in the timeline.

Anyone else have a good system for note taking they would like to share? Suggestions?

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Methods for getting screening notes into resolve?
on Nov 13, 2013 at 6:42:22 pm

Sure, just use audio..
People talk , TC is synced and you can jump to the points because you can see em.
Or extract the TC in AE.
Or even use Google for real time captions :)

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.0.0.073 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Nov 14, 2013 at 12:13:14 am

thanks sasha :) I actually considered this, but the workflow is too annoying.

The guys at digital rebellion tell me that they are are looking into the possibility of creating an OFX plugin for resolve. Presumably it would go on the track node and have your markers as keyframes, and notes overlay visualiy. A bit of a hack, but a decent solution I guess?

Too bad one can't type timecode into the timeline, that would really be the easiest low-tech solution to simply have my list of notes open and copy paste TC into the timeline to jump to the relevant location.

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Nov 14, 2013 at 12:29:21 am

Someone on LGG has noted that you can enter TC in the deck control portion of the delivery page...

Also a hack... but serviceable... I've asked BMD about TC entry a number of times since v8... recurring answer is that you can with the big panel... which is SWELL... but kind of a weak response.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Nov 14, 2013 at 12:40:32 am

Agreed. I totally understand the need for BMD to withhold certain features as "Panel Only", but ability to navigate the timeline with timecode cannot be one of them. Especially with the recent push to have Resolve be considered an "online editor", the inability to navigate to a specific timecode seems simply insane.

The idea is obviously to get some of the symphony crowd to move over to resolve, but this is a complete non-starter for someone coming from an editing environment.

It just doesn't make any sense as a feature to withhold. 4K? 3D? Advanced Noise Reduction? Sure. But ability to navigate the timeline? doesn't make sense, and just frustrates new and old users alike.

Even consider the use case scenario in a facility… One large room has a full setup with the big panels while an auxiliary room has an assist working on notes, doing conform, etc. Clearly the assist has an even greater need to be able to navigate to specific time codes in the timeline. Surely the idea is not that even assistants and supporting staff should ALL have the full panels installed so that they can type in timecode?

my 2 cents.

best
-Nat Jencks

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
on Nov 14, 2013 at 1:26:50 pm

Seems to be another issue that BM could collect extra revenue by creating a second class of the Resolve software that bridges the gap between panel and software users. It seems BM haven't worked out yet that there are customers with the money to buy the BM panel, who would choose a more ergonomic panel like the Tangent Element over their own BM panel.

I wager everyone who posts on this forum would pay an extra couple of grand or more for additional features such as adding TC and notes / etc. Currently there's little difference between the lite and paid version without panels. Maybe BM should widen this gap and feature set, and make some well deserved money in the mean time?

Nat, our workaround to your problem is map a hotkey via a hotkey program to the add marker feature in Davinci. You can then tap out markers on the the fly and sort as such on the Davinci timeline.

I often find if you're watching on the fly you remember the notes yelled out by the client if you have an accurate timecode marker.

Cheers,

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:26:53 pm

I don't have any real disagreement with your overall post, but I don't know of anyone who is actually a working colorist who would prefer a Tangent Element set over the DaVinci panels under any circumstances.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Nov 15, 2013 at 9:28:02 pm

Agreed that the full BMD panels are fantastic, and in a different class than the element. Also agreed that its perfectly fine and makes good business sense for BMD to reserve some features as "panel only" as a way to segment the product line.

My issue is that I think ability to type in timecode to navigate the timeline is a completely inappropriate feature with which to do this.

Even in facilities that I work in that have multiple rooms with full panels, there is often an assistant doing prep work at a station without full panels.

Ability to jump to a specific timecode seems like a basic function, and not a good feature at all with which to sperate the highest end product.

my 2 cents
best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
on Nov 16, 2013 at 2:30:04 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Smith on Nov 17, 2013 at 11:02:03 pm

[Mike Most] "I don't have any real disagreement with your overall post, but I don't know of anyone who is actually a working colorist who would prefer a Tangent Element set over the DaVinci panels under any circumstances."

Well that's me. Been working as a colourist in Australia for almost ten years on Australian TV, commercials and films. The majority of colourists I have met would prefer something like the BM panel but for those that don't the reasons are twofold:

Firstly a lot of post production suites are moving to multi purpose rooms, where they need to do both onlining and grading. The BM panel is just too bulky and not practical in this circumstance.

The second is that the BM panel is not as ergonomic as mine / other's custom solutions. The Tangent Element by itself is not as powerful as the BM panel. But it's slimline fit and minimal buttons create a lot of space for custom USB panels to be placed seamlessly around it. Using well documented techniques on this forum of assigning complex macros to unsupported features in Davinci, you can match and even surpass the BM panel in terms of feature set. A lot of standard functions in the BM panel require two clicks or multiple buttons. Using your own setup you can get most of your needs down to one button. Furthermore the BM panel is plagued by excessive and wasted space around the track balls. In my opinion, a colourist wastes too much time wind-milling her hands around the panel, where most of the often used functions (such as STILL GRAB / PLAY / DISABLE or whatever the colourist feels is relevant) should be placed within centimeters of the track balls. Doing this means that both hands do not need to leave the trackballs for most of the time. A huge time saver.

The other ergonomic problem with the BM panel is that it hasn't been designed with the mouse in mind. A colourist has to lean quite far to the right to make it work. It probably was designed before Resolve had features that required heavy mouse use. Now that Resolve is an online tool, and clients will require more mouse reliant tools such as FX, curves etc this undersight will become increasingly problematic as panel users will need to interact with the UI more.

These are all small points that are essentially about tiny moments of time saving. Being a little bit faster, shot by shot, adds up. We're always pressed for time, so for me being a faster grader means that my work is better.

The negative side with the tangent and all the add on USB buttons is that the panels look UGLY! ;) Well at least in comparison to the BM panel. I have had some colourists laugh when they first see it. But they acknowledge the benefit once they witness it in action. Interestingly the clients don't seem to care in a film / tv setting. This I feel would be different in a TVC post production house, but there's not many of them around anymore.

Cheers,

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Nov 21, 2013 at 6:25:04 pm

Hi Marcus, I did a quick search on the forum for assigning macros and didn't find anything, can you point me in the right direction in terms of your comment "Using well documented techniques on this forum of assigning complex macros to unsupported features in Davinci, you can match and even surpass the BM panel in terms of feature set. A lot of standard functions in the BM panel require two clicks or multiple buttons. Using your own setup you can get most of your needs down to one button."

Thanks!
-Nat

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Nov 21, 2013 at 5:50:36 pm

Eric,

Thanks - the delivery page TC input tip is just such a massive help.

Why are we still asking for such a simple thing after all this time - It's pretty embarrassing when I have to explain to clients that you can't enter TC in Resolve (really?!?). Makes the software sound amateur which BM can't want, surely.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Nov 21, 2013 at 5:55:18 pm

I haven't done this yet, but next next time I send a copy for review, I'm going to do a Shot Burn instead of TC... at least with the Eclipse I can navigate by shot number... but since no one but Colorists work with that info it's generally a useless feature for clients... Unlike TC... But it is better than nothing, so I'll keep using it.

eric b johnson

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Nov 21, 2013 at 6:14:33 pm

Thats a good idea. I'm still holding out for TC entry to be a standard feature.

Given that Resolve is being marketed as an online editing platform these days, not being able to navigate to a specific timecode is really not workable. Looking forward to having this feature added.

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Nov 21, 2013 at 6:20:13 pm

I'm doing a feature film review today and this has really made my day - might even make it home for dinner now.
It's not even as complex as you thought as you don't have to go to the deck control section.
Just enter in the in-point on the render page and then press shift i to jump to the TC.

Being on the wave I don't have shot no. entry but would say that shot numbers do change (ie. if 'drop in this extra title slate' was your first review note it would blow that whole workflow)

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Nov 21, 2013 at 7:26:31 pm

[michael stirling] "Being on the wave I don't have shot no. entry but would say that shot numbers do change (ie. if 'drop in this extra title slate' was your first review note it would blow that whole workflow)"

I knew there was a reason I hadn't done this yet... last time this came up I thought it would be a great idea, but then I had to do just that and everything became useless...

eric b johnson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]