FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying grades

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dimond
Copying grades
on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:13:50 am

Hi just wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on this problem.

I have a client that send me BM10bit uncompressed films for grading. Everything works fine with our workflow apart from the last two jobs something strange has been happening. I usually get the edit pretty much locked but on occasion I need to drop new section in if there are last minute changes. I've checked scopes and seem to be getting resupplied identical scope readings if the shot has been slipped a bit or some post work done.
I've been popping above original on new track and copying grade over alt1 apple 2. For some reason it's the same grade but tons lighter!! all the nodes match in the copy but going round in circles a bit.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Copying grades
on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:55:41 am

Sounds like the classic video/data level problem, especially with 10b QT.
First thing you can check, are they just flagged false ?
Go into the clip properties and change em from Auto to video.
When they appear lighter it means they are in video level but will be interpreted as data which causes a lift.
Vice versa when you load in a false flag video level on being interpreted as data causing the image to appear hard in contrast with cut off blacks.
Both can be save by just switching the way.
Ok, lets say its not that, it could happen that THEY had that problem, did not fix it and then rendered the false interpretation into the new video.
In the film world this happens a lot when people are dealing with LOG files.
And the third place this wonderful thing happens is when people use different ways of reading RED.
For example rendering the first batch of ProRes to RedGamma3 and the next one to something else , because "its looked better"to them.
So you need to get into the drivers seat and find out where to fix the error.
Its 99% not Resolves fault :)

A slice of color...

Resolve 10b3 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Paul Dimond
Re: Copying grades
on Nov 7, 2013 at 8:04:11 am

Thank you for your quick and detailed response.
I'll double check all your points today.

Regards Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]