FORUMS: list search recent posts

Instagram Looks...asks the client.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
Instagram Looks...asks the client.
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:18:53 pm

I know this is a rather annoying topic so my apologies for posting what drives many of us crazy with clients wanting stuff to look like there instagram feed.

I am wondering what powergrades I may be able to provide an editor friend out of town who needs to make a quick internal video for his employer with instagram-like looks without having to turn too many knobs. They are using Resolve Light and know enough to get by. I know there are LUT's for free that are floating around from photoshop converted for resolve but I am curious what else you might recommend. I want to avoid LUT's if possible because we want to be able to use powergrades to adjust further and have access to the grade 'layers'.

I know soft clipping can do some cool looks as well so I am open to any thoughts but in the interest of time they would also be willing to buy something.

Thanks
Andrew

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Instagram Looks...asks the client.
on Nov 7, 2013 at 2:30:45 am

Tell them to hire a real colorist who knows what he or she is doing.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Nov 7, 2013 at 2:42:34 am

its the editors gig no money for a colorist so just trying to send him some referrals for powergrades/lut's or even a nudge in the right direction of what tools to play around with in resolve. its like a home low-budget thing for work not a high-end commercial.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:13:44 am

Tell them I have a plug-in that will edit the show as well as color it...

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:26:53 am

This may help your friend:
http://cineblur.com/instagram/

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT
DaVinci Resolve 9.1.1
OSX 10.7.5
MacPro 8-core 4,1 2.93 Ghz
24GB RAM
Nvidia GT120 GUI
Cubix Expander with 2 x GTX570 (CUDA 5.0.36)
Decklink Extreme3D+
Panny BT-LH1710P/ Panny BT-LH2600W
Tangent Wave

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Nov 7, 2013 at 12:30:52 pm

Thanks for the helpful info robert!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 8, 2013 at 5:26:29 pm

[andrew smith] "its the editors gig no money for a colorist"

So not likely either to have been or become a "client" of a professional colorist, so really no harm in pointing to another free source of services, so that party can subsidize someone else's work. Frankly, I encourage this, as long as it costs someone else money. Its all a part of "democratization", right? Like "selfies" democratize portrait photography.

I see that there is a "What Is a Colorist" thread on the LinkedIn channel -- an 'educational piece', and nicely illustrates the value-added benefit gained by investing in a grade. Acknowledgement: Warren Eagles. Its a good question, though. With so many FX features being built-in to image-processing software nowadays, where do we cross the line between what began as a way to accomplish electronic film timing, to what is now a one-stop "change everything in the picture" service? Literally, we now have an almost infinite amount of "blur". A famous colorist once proclaimed that he was NOT a roto-artist... but if you want to survive today, you better get a feel for it... and electronic makeup, and green-screen compositing, and layering up graphic treatments, because the people who (sometimes) pay for "coloring" now expect it.

Much has been made of "one-button" click-and-add power looks... and they can be just perfect... if you want your work to look like everyone else's. I'm vaguely amused, but mostly alarmed, that the third party in this case before us today wants the starting point, but then expects to tweak away to try to fine tune their result. The fallacy here is that once the graphic treatment has been trowelled on, really... there is no point in further adjustment. For the viewer, just like a restaurant patron... once the steak has been bathed in ketchup... it doesn't matter how much you tweak the ketchup --> its ketchup. Even Dijon Ketchup is just tomato pulp in high fructose corn syrup and vinegar. If you are an actual chef or have studied food or color, they're both disgusting.

Its too bad that the lay consuming public has adopted the buzz-word "LUT" to describe a generic adjustment. In the olden times, like... less than 10 years ago... LUTs were only developed to support cross-media transfers, for example, to support gamut translation between digital and print film (now mostly 709 to XYZ)... which evolved to support log transfer characteristics for linearizing gamma reproduction in the vain hope that users would know a) there is, and b) what the difference is, between colorspaces. But no, nothing but confusion (because, you know... I'm more of a "story" person...). So an engineering approach was co-opted to stand in as a creative choice, and now when you get something that is flatter than a pancake, you really don't know what to do with it -- ''errrr.... is this what you wanted....?" "Oh, yeah, yeah, its cool... or phat, or sick or... whatever".... (thinking... and so, you are here because...???)

Maybe I'm fortunate that I do have a nickel for every time I've heard the phrase "I'm not a colorist, but..."

But. I am thrilled and relieved that, well, not every time I settle into the chair, I don't hear "I'm not really a dentist, but..." or... "I'm not really a pilot, but..." or "I'm not really a lawyer, but..." you know, but meh, nobody dies. Or, "I'm not really a writer, but..." (and you're still reading this?)

From the Wikepedia entry on soapboxes (aka: public ranting)
Hyde Park, London is known for its Sunday soapbox orators, who have assembled at Speakers' Corner since 1872 to discuss religion, politics and other topics. A modern form of the soapbox is a blog: a website on which a user publishes his/her thoughts to whomever they are read by.

1872? Wow, that's more than 10 years ago... like... uhhh.... (can't do the math)... uhhhh...way more.....

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Nov 9, 2013 at 9:44:48 pm

[andrew smith] "no money for a colorist"

If there's no money for a colorist, then maybe they shouldn't expect to get a professional color grade.

If they decide they need a color grade, then maybe they should also decide that they need to pay for one.

If they threaten to go someplace else, then I would wish them luck and let me know if it doesn't work out. At my original price. Unless their delay makes it a rush, then it's double.

Arnie
Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Nov 10, 2013 at 5:44:00 am

I think you guys misunderstood my post, did you read what I wrote? Don't be on some bitter nerd shit guys. Joe you lost me a little bit sir but thanks for the reply, and the other guys sheesh I guess I wasn't clear that its an internal thing with no clients or budgets or anything.

Just an editor friend wanting to start with some basic stuff in resolve light to work out from. This is like an internal thing not a professional color grade or meant to be by any means just someone asking for some resolve light powergrades to start with on the fly basically to learn and adjust as needed for creative fun...not sure where you guys were ranting on but yeah!

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:37:37 pm

Almost all of the Instagram looks can be accomplished in the Primaries tab by lifting black and lowering white, then pushing the highs and shadows in opposite directions.

The hue-vs-saturation and luminance-vs-saturation curves are another good place to play around. A lot of those filters heavily desaturate the highlights before the hue is applied.

The vignettes can be accomplished by adding another node with a circular power window with softness all the way up, set as an outside window, and lowering mid/black.

Good luck and I hope the client is happy with the work that they have requested!

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:26:50 am

hey thanks danny much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:50:16 am

Glad to help out. No money gigs for your friends are a great way to get started learning color correction and grading. If you want to use LUTs though you have to do a basic "primary" color adjustment that makes it neutral and have even contrast.

DaVinci has many many tools for color correction that can do this, and most are explained very well in the Color Controls section of the manual. Its curves are OK in big mode, the color wheels are still king. Auto Color works pretty well to make a primary sometimes too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]