FORUMS: list search recent posts

DPX or native R3D

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Milling
DPX or native R3D
on Oct 31, 2013 at 8:21:28 pm

Hi people, im about to start working on a music video and got some R3D files to test and found a problem going from Premier CS6 to Resolve.

I know that the problem is that time remapping does not translate with the XML file. I have come to two conclusions

1) Grade first with Resolve and then edit.
2) Export a DPX from R3D and import that.

Now my question is (as im not great with colour specs ect) what is the different from grading the a R3D or a exported DPX from premier (post edit/speed ramps)?

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
Re: DPX or native R3D
on Oct 31, 2013 at 9:43:01 pm

with DPX, you won't be able to access the RAW camera controls.
Also reading DPX files will need a faster disk drive than reading R3D files.
Be sure to export with the flattest image setting (Redlogfilm), and apply a lut when you bring back those files.

Anyway, XML should carry speed ramps into Resolve...

Return to posts index

Ricky Milling
on Oct 31, 2013 at 9:54:12 pm

I have tried to do a CS 6 to resolve with a few time remaps, but nothing came though, just the basic edit. I have looked online and cannot find a work flow that works. I do not really want to have to grade the piece first and then edit.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Oct 31, 2013 at 9:58:57 pm

Depending on the quantity of speed changes, and how big they are, you could try recreating them in Resolve.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow

Return to posts index

Ricky Milling
on Oct 31, 2013 at 10:05:28 pm

They will be quite big, its for a music video, so lots of slow downs and start ups ect.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Nov 1, 2013 at 8:57:33 am

I always ask my clients to render their speed changes with optical flow quality into RedLog.
Thus you dont have to worry about the timing and get the best possible grading quality.
Alternatively you can deactivate the speed clips, or have them on a separate time line and copy the grades from the ones in the original timeline to that one and have the editor reassemble them.
Both takes time that needs to be planned into the production accordingly.
Besides that I always prefer to go to DPX first, but as he said, you need a proper RAID for that.

A slice of color...

Resolve 10b3 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Nov 2, 2013 at 4:41:33 am

Time remapping from premiere's effects pallette is not read by resolve in xml. I've only had luck when speed change is done from within the timine (right click on clip to acess).

Baked DPX a great way to go esp since Premiere can read the R3D and you can scale large raster down to say HD. Agree about redlog gamma. Perfectly fine way to go. Prores 4444 would be acceptable if drive playback a concern.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]