FORUMS: list search recent posts

4k & 2k to HD & SD down conversions...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathon Lee
4k & 2k to HD & SD down conversions...
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:37:16 pm

Hey Folks,

What are you guys using to down res your Resolve projects down to HD & SD from higher resolution sources? Resolve seems to either be a bit soft OR I get slight a Moiré pattern depending on the settings. I have the "new" Teranex, but that looks pretty soft from HD to SD and when the sharpness is turned up it looks only OK. For SD an HD-CamSR seems to give the best results or at least from what I've seen.

Also for SD 29.97 I've been using After Effects for the 2:3 cadence -- which is painfully slow. It seems the PD cannot be inserted in Resolve during a render... unless I'm missing something. I'd really like to keep this as a file process and not BOX to BOX.

Any suggestions?

thank you!

- Jonathon

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: 4k & 2k to HD & SD down conversions...
on Oct 30, 2013 at 10:13:20 am

In the old days of traditional telecine mastering, we just created a longplay HD 4x3 pan/scan version (matted on the sides), and then used that 23.98 master to generate the downconversion for SD and PAL. Inserting proper 2:3 cadence was automatic.

What are you using to monitor the standard def image? If you're using an HD set, the artifacts from upscaling will tend to prevent you from judging artifacts and edge enhancement. What's the source material from? I bet you'll get different results depending on frame rates, compression schemes, and chroma subsampling. DPX files should look dynamite; QT 422LT, not so much.

I'm wondering if Apple Compressor might be a better route to convert a 23.98 1080 HD master file to 29.97 640x480. I know that works, but I have to say, the regular output of the HDCam decks was pretty good, as was the old Panasonic Universal Format Convertor (an add-on for the old D-5 VTRs from ancient HD times), and those were real-time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]