FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K online with Resolve and (what else?)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chase
4K online with Resolve and (what else?)
on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:16:51 pm

I have colored a red show for a 4k output in DR10B3. My export resolution is 4096x1716. 2.39:1 for DCP

I cannot use a 4k sequence setting in FCP 7, it toggles back to a 3k max.

The xml crashes Premiere Pro on import.

The XML and FCPXML creates an error in FCP X. I've also had an impassable error using FCP 7to10

How do I proceed placing titles, and approving sync and such?

Doing a final sequence in Resolve is hard for me, because I'm used to a round trip to finishing in FCP 7.

-Eric

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: 4K online with Resolve and (what else?)
on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:22:18 pm

Thats why i use Smoke...that and like 123423 other things ;)

A slice of color...

Resolve 10b3 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:06:56 pm

why not finish in resolve? what does "it is hard for me" actually mean?

Return to posts index

Eric Chase
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:17:36 pm

so the only way to finish a 4k show is in resolve? I can't check the sync correctly, I can't cross check the workprint. I cant work with titles the way a non-linear system typically works. gosh when I ask "other than Reslove" I mean i rather know a way I can finish the show not working off the r3d files the whole time.

Thanks Sascha for offering the Smoke solution. I download the Autodesk demo, but stuck on importing the XML... again.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:29:10 pm

Since you would have to Render to get it out to any other application... why not Render something your system can play and use that as your intermediate...

Or, check sync by lowering the Debayer decoder quality, since visual quality is not as important for a sync check, as long as your setting for real time are not the lowest of the low...

Also, if you can't get the XML into your NLE why not do a single file render? that way, if there are fixes, you just need to do the bad shots and overwrite.

FCP7 technically does not support anything above 2k... you can use 3k assets in it, but it's not stable. So if you need an NLE that can do 4k, then as far as I know Smoke and Premiere are your best options, FCPX can be used also... Or Resolve 10b3.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow

Return to posts index

Eric Chase
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:26:51 pm

So if I simply dragged one of the rendered HQ files to a timeline, FCP7 allows the 4k setting just fine. Whereas if I tried to configure the sequence setting, the software won't allow it.

So FCP 7 still works after all. From there I'll export a new HQ file for the master.

-Thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Oct 30, 2013 at 12:00:18 am

I would be very careful with that workflow... it may work with one shot, but the longer your timeline is the less likely you will remain stable, you will also start seeing issues with FCP titles rendering incorrectly as well as having potential issue with any graphics that may be coming from Photoshop or AE... I have had consistent failure in FCP7 when using any material over 3500px in any direction (that is a max avg, usually issues can start with too many images/sources above 3000px also).

FCP7 was not meant to support larger than 2k frames. Please take this under consideration before you invest to much of your time into something that may need to be redone later.

That said, I hope it works out and warnings/caveats are for not.

eric b johnson

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:44:28 am

For what it's worth FCPX works fine with 4K frame sizes. ;)

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Oct 29, 2013 at 11:30:58 pm

that are your options in resolve! in resolve 10 there are a lot of things very nle-similiar, finsihing-wise. of course, you have to deal with the limitaions of your machine, gpu, cpu, hdds etc.
but if it is not that kind of realtime 4k powerhorse, just render small parts and check the sync in realtime-hd. there is still the render-cache, and all the options mentioned before.

it might be inconvient, but think of it: you have very high expectations! finsihing in 4k with limited hardware - hell it is possible! and yes, you might have to make some compromises workflow/realtime-wise...

and smoke won't change your hardware-limits either. if it is a red project, render it in 4k-dpx and make yourself some hd-proxies to stay realtime and check everything. then render 4k.

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:30:06 pm

[Eric Johnson] "FCP7 technically does not support anything above 2k... you can use 3k assets in it, but it's not stable. So if you need an NLE that can do 4k, then as far as I know Smoke and Premiere are your best options, FCPX can be used also..."

Lightworks Pro also handles 4K.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:53:43 pm

I had forgotten about Lightworks...

eric b johnson

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:43:15 pm

[Eric Chase] "I can't cross check the workprint. I cant work with titles the way a non-linear system typically works"

Resolve Release 10 addresses a great deal of the titling issues, although personal choices in graphics vary widely. The workaround is to make alpha-matted .mov titles out of whatever composition application you are using, and re-imbed them with Resolve. That workflow worked already with Release 9.

There is also a "chase" option to play a "scratch" offline movie alongside your Resolve project which has been part of the application for a long time. Warredn Eagles has a 9-minute tutorial posted on vimeo:

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:28:57 pm

[Sascha Haber] "Thats why i use Smoke...that and like 123423 other things ;)"

Isn't Resolve 10 also designed for finishing? The beta is out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]