FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update with new xml with slight edit changes

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Coombes
Update with new xml with slight edit changes
on Oct 24, 2013 at 11:18:30 pm

Hi, I have an edit i did that was graded and rendered in resolve lite. Worked fine, but we now had to change the music track and do a slight re-edit, keeping the same clips as last time but now the in-out points and contents of some clips may have changed. Is it possible to reopen the last resolve grade and update it with the newer xml from premiere pro cc? The clips will all be the same, just the in-out points and duration may be different this time. Any help greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Update with new xml with slight edit changes
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:24:18 pm

If the changes were tracked at all, I would say to generate a new XML that only has the modified clips in it. Import that XML without automatically importing associated media, and copy/paste the changed portions ON TOP of a duplicate version of the originally conformed sequence.

Then, adjust tracking if needed and re-render the new portions.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow

Return to posts index

Darren Coombes
on Oct 28, 2013 at 7:01:08 am

Thanks for the reply Eric, no i didn't make note of the changes, as every clip in the sequence was readjusted to fit new music. The edit uses all the same clips, will just have different in/out points for each clip.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 28, 2013 at 1:54:10 pm

Did you try a colortrace?

Import your new timeline.
right click on it, select color trace
point it to your original timeline. If it doesn't look like the automatic color trace is working, you can try
the manual tab and select it clip by clip.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:59:03 pm

In that case, you can load the new XML into the same project and if you were using the "Remote" vs "Local" grades, then a good portion of your work could translate very easily. You would still need to double check all of your tracking.

If not that, then Colortrace.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow

Return to posts index

Carson Jones
on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:19:59 pm

I've hit this road as well. The colortrace feature doesn't work well. This seems like it would be 'a given' that you could simply update the XML file and have the revised edits established in your existing timeline with the colour grading in place?!

I'm going to continue to look for a way to do this, but it seems like we're left having to completely re-apply our colour grading to the new sequence.

This seems like something that should have been around for many years and yet it actually seems close to impossible. Locked down edits are a thing of the past and having to roundtrip back and forth several times without losing our colour grading work is 'a must'!

If anyone has a solution for this please post here! My preferred NLE is Premiere.

C Jones
Toronto, Canada

Return to posts index

Pedr Browne
on Mar 9, 2015 at 11:14:11 am

Did you ever find a solution for updating resolve with a new XML version?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 24, 2015 at 11:25:25 am

I too am curious about this.

Working with an editor on Premiere and having to update rough cuts a few times got me to revisit each clip for grading.

Sure its great since Im getting faster at it but after awhile its tedious specially on a feature length project.

Return to posts index

Aurie Anden
on Sep 28, 2015 at 9:03:36 am

This is the main reason why I prefer working using "Remote" grades. Each time you import a new XML with the same clips but different in/out points, the grade gets carried over. No need to reapply grade/re-track every single clip.

You only have to select the correct versions if you have those, and adjust the tracking on select shots.

To use Remote Grades...
V11, Color Page. Right click on any thumbnail on the timeline. Click on "Use Remote Grades".

:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]