FORUMS: list search recent posts

R10Beta3 'join clip' functionality?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
R10Beta3 'join clip' functionality?
on Oct 13, 2013 at 1:23:17 pm

Originally I was given a flattened quicktime with no edl to chop it up with so I used scene cut detect and of course its not perfect so I needed to add/remove some edit points manually using the blade tool or the join clip option - unfortunately join is not working for me.

I am trying to join to clips which accidentally made a blade tool edit point through. I see under the edit option at the top that u selects the edit point but then 'join clip' is grayed out and trying the key command doesn't help.

Anyone having this issue or able to clue me into why this does not work?

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
Re: R10Beta3 'join clip' functionality?
on Oct 13, 2013 at 5:43:51 pm

have you tried join clips on the master timeline?

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Oct 13, 2013 at 6:55:28 pm

When you use scene cut detection instead of pressing save or whatever. Export EDL instead. Then Bring the edl you just created in Resolve back into Resolve and use that to notch your clip. You can then either join or separate clips as needed.

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Oct 13, 2013 at 10:31:03 pm

This workaround had been posted by Dwaine a while ago. It would be much better, if this bug would actually be fixed so no workaround would be needed. Or for this matter, now with the temporal information available, it would be nice to see an improvement to the scene detection technology from 1980s. Just look at the FilmMaster. It that uses more, than just the video levels to decide where there are cuts. It is markedly better and yes, you can re-join cut clips:-)

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: 10Beta3 'join clip' functionality?
on Oct 13, 2013 at 10:40:29 pm

I totally second this...
As much as I like a fast scene detection , a accurate one would be great to have.
Optical flow could be used to compare frames, minimal cut length should be be easy to implement tomorrow.
With a good optical flow scene detection you could even restore pan an scan animation ...

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.1.4 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Oct 14, 2013 at 3:33:59 am

Yes guys that stuff would also be great but bottom line is I need the tools and feel of nle's if you are going to tell my clients and I that this is an Online Editing capable finishing tool. Beyond join edit actually working I have to say this far with all of these public beta's the feel and operational functionality of the 'edit' page has been sure frustrating. coming from fcp7, avid, premiere, etc. this architecture just doesn't feel right, it's not responsive really. I think sitting with any experienced editor and having them try to adjust a timeline as needed before grading is just not interactively functional and understandable completely.

Not meant to be a rant, it's got great potential just giving feedback and encouraging the bmd to keep up the great work because I really grade in resolve so improving those tools is more important than the edit page - just need that edit page to be solid in function and feel. Sit with an editor cutting something real and see how responsive things to be in a timeline.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Oct 14, 2013 at 7:37:39 am

Just to be clear. The join operation works correctly, IF you just perform cut in the edit mode. The join operation doesn't work after the scene detection cut, hence the workaround.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:57:54 pm

understood thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]