FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Edge window controls are reversed.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jake blackstone
The Edge window controls are reversed.
on Sep 28, 2013 at 10:49:26 pm

BMD. Please take a look at the Edge window controls in V10. The arrow points at the area, where the grade should be effective. Right now it feels, that it's backwards.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
Re: The Edge window controls are reversed.
on Sep 29, 2013 at 3:24:33 pm

To me it's exactly what it should be. The hard edge defines the boundary and the arrow defines the softness. The arrow points towards the underlying area that is being left alone, with everything on the edge side of the boundary line being affected. The arrow is defining the falloff of the windowed correction to the unaffected area, exactly the same as the outer lines do on all of the other window types. The windowed correction is overlaid on the base correction, and the on screen controls indicate that. I don't understand why you think it's incorrect, but you can always invert it if you find that easier...

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Sep 29, 2013 at 9:49:27 pm

In comparison to, say circular window it feels backwards. When you select circular window the correction is inside of the window. With the edge it feels outside. Anyway, I just checked the Baselight and it works the same way as the Resolve. So, in that respect, may be I was wrong. Said that, the main difference of the Edge operation btween Baselight and V10 Resolve is, that with the Baselight, when you select the edge nothing happens until you actually draw it first. So, you can immediately go the the area you want to affect, set the angle and softness, all in one simple draw. In Resolve, when you select the edge, it immediately shows up and then you need to adjust it's position, angle and softness, which takes considerably more time. I'm not saying everything should work like Baselight, but in this case, Baselight's way is much more efficient.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:16:46 am

The gradient power window only defines one side of the window, with the width of that side being infinite. The other "side" of the window is, by definition, outside the scope of the frame. So the window exists between your defined edge and the outside of the image, and your correction is indeed "inside" that window, assuming you don't invert it. Previously, to get a similarly defined area, you would have to use a rectangular PW and repeatedly resize and reposition it depending on how wide you wanted it to be and the softness. With the gradient, you just position it, adjust the rotation and softness, and you're done. I don't find any of that confusing or time consuming, especially compared to what you had to do previously.

As for Baselight, ALL windows in Baselight can be created by drawing them where you want them and, yes, that can be a bit more efficient than predefining each one to be in the middle of the screen, as Resolve does (although this is a lot less restrictive if you have the DaVinci control panels, which enable trackball control of window position). Frankly, though, if you watch an experienced operator on either one, preferably working with the dedicated control panel, there's really little to no significant difference in productivity. It's when you reach for a mouse and need to point to a specific area on the screen that productivity goes to hell (whether people realize it or not). But all of those things are based largely on personal habits and preferences.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:29:13 am

FilmMaster operates the same way as Baselight, where you must draw the window first. But both software packages allow you to add extra points to a circle, making the circle edge softness adjustable, by simply moving the new control point.
As far as the functionality with BMD panels, unfortunately, for well known reasons, overwhelming majority of users use third party panels. So, I'm talking Resolve functionality for the majority of users. I wish BMD was more pro- majority. Alas, this is not a democracy and for the same well known reason, my personal wishes don't really matter.
Said that, all of us, non BMD panel users, would have been so much better off, if BMD didn't have the panel to sell:-)

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:36:04 am

I would counter that without that panel, there might not be amazingly sophisticated and complex software available to the vast majority of those users for free. When you consider that the software itself should, by rights, be selling for many thousands of dollars more than it is (and even at its ridiculously low price, the vast majority of its users don't pay for it), that's a rather small concession to make.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:45:10 am

Only BMD knows their business structure and what pays for what. I would propose, that low or free Resolve price is mostly a result of Decklink and similar hardware. That's why even by giving their software away for free, BMD still have an income. Moreover, Decklink is a necessity. Yes, you can use Resolve without it, but not many do. Majority have no need for a $30k panel. So, if you ask me, it's the Resolve house, that Decklink built.

Return to posts index

Michael Lindsay
on Oct 6, 2013 at 11:09:57 am

If BM need to leverage panel sales to keep Resolve financially viable then they should consider a 1/2 price 1/2 size Davinci branded panel... I dislike the Avid panel we have but do not have the full time desk space for the full size panel. I have asked around amongst my peers and all have cash but little desire for a very large full time 24/7 colourist panel.. they don't have to go cheap as long as it unlocks Davinci with great mapping and feels good.

Filmlight's Slate is a good size guide... Could be a fair bit longer for a 4th ball but depth is the issue...

also how about a Davinci Gradeing monitor? the 30inch 4k panels are looking ok (tvlogic?) but we need somebody who can really sell stuff to get the price to Old BVM levels..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]