FORUMS: list search recent posts

JPEG-2K performance

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cinquin
JPEG-2K performance
on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:34:35 am

Hi

I just downloaded the 10beta for the sole purpose of trying out the JPEG-2000 render.

Performance is a bit disappointing : 4fps on my machine (2 procs @3.3 Ghz, 6 cores per proc, with hyperthreading makes 24 logic cores, Mountain Lion).

Same machine renders same material @35 fps to "easydcp" (which obviously does its own J2K-compression) and 50fps to TIFF 16b.

Watching CPU usage during render, I can see half the cores are idle, which is suboptimal for such a CPU-intensive process (EasyDCP does max out the CPU, as well as my own J2K-encoding outside daVinci).

BM, could you parallelize further the encoding, so all cores are used ?

Also, as noted on another thread, it would be necessary to allow other J2K resolution, 2048x1080, aka "full container" is very rare.

thanks

Michael Cinquin

Final Cut Pro - Avid Media Composer editor
DaVinci colorist
Color profiles for Color
http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools : tools for FCP | Color | RED | subtitles | Cinema Tools | Timecode - Keycode calculator | DCP versioning and subtitling

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
Re: JPEG-2K performance
on Sep 26, 2013 at 8:03:23 pm

We've also noticed this. It's even more noticable on our Linux system, which has 16 cores (plus hyperthreading), but it's barely any faster than a 6-core i7 machine. The same 6-core i7 does 16-18 fps JP2K encoding in 2k with DoReMi CineAsset.

We reported this to BMD during the private beta, and they said they were aware of it. It's particularly disappointing for us Linux users, since we don't have the option to use EasyDCP.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]