FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trimming Red Problems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Smith
Trimming Red Problems
on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:26:41 am

I'm running into some serious problems with Trimmed Red Files in an XML workflow, and I hope someone can give me some help. I run into critical problems depending on whether I use handles or not.

Procedure with Handles:

1) Red sequence is properly conformed to original files.

2) In Resolve, generate timeline with handles - this causes several hundred reel conflicts

3) In settings I check, "assist using reel names - embedded in source clip"

4) All clips become online. I trim Red media 20 clips at a time - selecting all clips in timeline at once causes it fail.

5) Media is deleted from media pool. I choose "import additional clips with tight filename match" with the directory with the trimmed media.

6) I get a list of over a 100 clips that can't be located - however, I can find them in the new, trimmed files directory.

7) I try re-importing the original timeline, pointing it to the trimmed files directory. I get the same list, but cannot link because the timecodes don't match.

Procedure without Handles:

1) Red sequence is properly conformed to original files.

2) I trim Red media 20 clips at a time - selecting all clips in timeline at once causes it fail.

3) Media is deleted from media pool. I choose "import additional clips with tight filename match" with the directory with the trimmed media.

4) I get a list of about 30 clips that can't be located.

5) I reimport the original XML, and only 5 clips can't be located due to wrong timecode values.

6) I find the 5 untrimmed Red files and copy them into the trimmed files directory.

7) All files become online.

8) I test process out the timeline in an XML round trip, transcoding the files to ProRes 422 HD.

9) When trying to import the new XML into Smoke, the XML crashes it every time. When importing the XML into FCP, it gives a list of errors, and cannot import the sequence.

Thank you for any insight or help you can provide.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
Re: Trimming Red Problems
on Sep 19, 2013 at 12:10:48 pm

+1 I have yet to get this to work myself, super frustrating!!

A media manager / resolve collect function really needs to be implemented especially if you are calling it am online editor.

BMD if you are reading this we need to be able to do what resolve collect does and what r3d trim is supposed to do. We all want to be able to copy the media used in a timeline or project and add handles if needed - not the whole clip like resolve collect does - along with offline, audio, etc.

Please!!

Return to posts index

Scott Smith
on Sep 20, 2013 at 3:30:55 pm

In the end I was able to get the Resolve trim function to work, but it's pretty finicky.

Hundred of clip conflict occur as soon as the timeline with handles is generated. I found that by turning on Assist Reel names imbedded in clip, it was able "resolve" most reel conflicts, even though it was not necessary in the original conform.

I would not recommend trimming more that 30 at a time, as sometimes it freezes mid clip, so mark your place with the "play head".

The main trick is to try to relink to the original timeline with the trimmed media. What seems to work best is to first put all the new, trimmed media into the Media Pool. Then load the XML. It will still say it can't find any media, so point to the folder with the trimmed clips and to import them (yes, this is seemingly redundant as all the clips are already in the Media Pool, but it seems to work. There will still be some conflicts, but I was able to get it to conform.

Even after relinking, there will be clips missed in the trim Red function, or just will not link. In those instances I find the original, full length clip, and copy it to the media folder, replacing what ever was there.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:51:20 am

No way it should take all of that to make media managed job relink to trimmed clips. A serious Online tool needs to have robust media management.

Resolve collect is a great lean in the direction of what is needed, which is media management in Resolve - whether from 3rd party app "Resolve Collect", a plugin or from within a later version of Resolve 10 (i.e. 10.1).

The ability to not only copy the media in a timeline or project but trim it with the handles you need as well..ResolveCollect is great because the latest version also includes offline clips, audio, etc but what I and many colleagues really need is also the ability to do all of that but just copy each clip (off all types) with some handles - not the entire file.

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Sep 24, 2013 at 3:48:27 am

Question-do you have a lot of edits that share the same source files (take)? One issue may be that in the case of a handles sequence that you may be creating a lot of trimmed R3D files that have same meta data and overlapping timecode, which would naturally create conflicts when the trimmed files are added in to media pool.

I sometimes conform the R3D files with XML and carry across repos. Then dial R3D settings and render out the tied sequence DPX frames at target resolution and use edl with the newly created preconform DPX sequence. Any changes can go to a top layer and you can use proxies if needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]