FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hackintosh or power PC? Random GPU/Resolve questions

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Solomon
Hackintosh or power PC? Random GPU/Resolve questions
on Sep 14, 2013 at 6:38:26 am

Hey guys,

So I'm starting to get more and more color grading work (about to hop on as a go-to for a production company) and it's now at the point where I'm considering making a sizable investment into my next machine alongside with a panel and a professional 10 bit monitor.

I'm looking into my options going forward and I'm not sure if I want to build a hackintosh or go with a nice and powerful PC. So I have a couple questions for you guys

1) Which would you go for, PC or hackintosh for grading and why
2) If I pick up a GTX titan or 770/780 will I be able to use it in conjunction with my current 570 (570 as the display output and the 770/780/titan as the workhorse)?
3) Would I see a noticeable difference between the 770 and the 780?
4) Are there some downsides to internal raid arrays that I don't know about? Almost all of my colorist buddies use external arrays, but if I pick up a mobo with 8 sata inputs would it not just make sense to do an internal array(s)?

As far as I see it, with a PC I will get more bang for my buck, I'll know that it's a stable machine and OS updates won't break it, and it's the platform that I'm the most experience with. While on the otherhand, a mac will make clients feel more at ease (since that's what most are used to), I gain the ability to export prores, and I get access to the thunderbolt interface. The downside being that a hackintosh is a risky endeavor when it comes to stability and I can't kit it out as nicely as I could a PC. I've also heard rumors that mac's cant actually output a 10 bit signal and are limited to 8 bit.

Would love to get feedback from you all!

Return to posts index

Guillem Ventura
Re: Hackintosh or power PC? Random GPU/Resolve questions
on Sep 27, 2013 at 11:37:16 am

I hate Mac as a brand, but I can't stand working on a PC :-/

All I can tell you is that outputting 10-bit depends on your graphic card...
And this is not taken into account when you output video:
Resolve were smart giving out Resolve, now we all need their hardware to output.
Just make sure you feed your monitor with a decent SDI signal from your Decklink card.
HDMI is, indeed, 8-bit, so you may need to use DVI/DisplayPort if you're feeding computer-signal into it.

http://www.malgeniofilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]