FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Professional LCDs vs Low cost Broadcast monitors

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damien Letexier
New Professional LCDs vs Low cost Broadcast monitors
on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:42:32 pm

Hi guys,
Here is my first post, even if I have been following the cow for a while now !

I am lost regarding the variety of monitors you can use. I know that for HD-TV you should set your monitor to REC709, but, here comes the question of the monitor you should use.

At this time, I use a LaCie324 monitor connected to a mini-monitor from Blackmagic, and I am not really happy with the result when I grade and I switch the render to a TV.

It seems I have a mismatch in my calibration ... Is it a limitation of this monitor and should I go through more professional LCD displays (Dreamcolor/Eizo CG246), or Broadcast dedicated monitor (but I am not sure the low cost monitors from Sony/JVC provide a better job than my current Lacie monitor) ?

I would like to have feedbacks from people here, to update the database I could found using the search engine: mostly the Dreamcolor was the best option for about 2000$ 3 years ao. Is that still true. What about new Eizo CGW series with integrated colorimeter ? What can I expect from those monitors compared to Low cost monitors like Sony LVM2110W or Panasonic BT-1710 or even JVC models ?

Thanks in advance for you sharing and you help ,

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: New Professional LCDs vs Low cost Broadcast monitors
on Sep 8, 2013 at 8:58:55 am

First off all "TVs" differ in the way they look and thats before tge user starts tweaking with all tge menus. So comparing to a TV is a lost cause.
That's why we use reference monitors that should show a true representation. If correctly calibrated in the correct viewing environment.
There are low cost solutions that come close but many don't deal with interlaced very well so movement can look odd.
We're lucky that our Sony HD CRT is hanging in there as it produces perfect pictures and looks nice with interlaced. And hanging on as long as possible before switching in the hope something usesble comes along!

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]