FORUMS: list search recent posts

alexa and blackmagic ram requirements

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evans Briceño
alexa and blackmagic ram requirements
on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:01:06 am

Dear friends, I mostly work with Alexa 2k prores footage and soon with the Blackmagic CC 2.5K (Raw and Prores) in Davinci 9.4 for MAC.

Thinking in two cards: The Titan and the 780. Are the 3Gbs RAm of the 780 enough to handle the Alexa and The Blackmagic footage? (My gradings goes up to 12 nodes.

with the upcoming Resolve 10 and the computing requirements I need to decide which's the best value performance/money card.

has someone have test the real requirement of RAM Memory base on 1080p 2K, 3K footage?

and last, is a good Idea to use as GUI the Quadro 4000 and one of those cards as gpu?

System:
Mac pro 2008 2x 2.8
16gb ram
4TB ARRAY miniSAS 500MB/s data rate
multibridge upgrading to DeckLink 4K Extreme
120 gt / Quadro 4000

I tested a gtx 590 with a gtx 120, and before the combo Q4000+120 delivered 12fps playback (12 nodes Alexa prores footage), with the 590+120 playback was 23/24 fps. That's why I thinking to buy one of above...

Thanks in advance to all.

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.
VZLA. +584166352066 / +582122838114 / USA +1-718-673-3326
virtualevans@gmail.com / contacto@virtualevans.com / http://www.virtualevans.com

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: alexa and blackmagic ram requirements
on Aug 21, 2013 at 6:11:55 pm

You will exceed the system ram well before the 3GB GPU ram with that media as well as those CPU's will limit the acceleration performance before exceeding the card processing ceiling. The 780GTX would be more than enough for the current Mac Pro system and processing performance. I would suggest maybe looking at 24GB of ram for the system with the GPU upgrade if you are going to do it. No the Quadros wont provide better performance for GPU processing and will actually lower performance. Only get the Quadro if you will use a Geforce card for the processing which means a 2nd PSU most likely.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Evans Briceño
on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:21:19 pm

Thanks for the respond Eric. Just a question. I will update to Davinci 10. your recomendation (24gb ram and the 780) will work yet or will be better to have the Titan? I red some info from pass Blackmagic NY event that Resolve 10 will have some background processing to handle the new features.

If the quadro will lower the performance, what card, besides gt 120, (single slot) do you recommend in combo with 780 or titan, if is no better to leave just one. I have an external 500 watts power supply as you pointed.

thanks in advance.

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.
virtualevans@gmail.com / contacto@virtualevans.com / http://www.virtualevans.com

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:45:45 pm

The performance with that system will likely not change between the 2 cards. The CPU's performance decides the GPU load and I don't see those CPU's pushing either card.

The Quadro would be better used for output only. The performance would drop if you used that for GPU processing instead of the Geforce cards you are looking at.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Evans Briceño
on Aug 22, 2013 at 3:53:14 am

Since I don't natively speak English I'm not sure what you mean with: "The CPU's performance decides the GPU load and I don't see those CPU's pushing either card" Can you explain this little more didactic?

and Last, what about the gtx 680 4gbs as output instead of Q4000? do you think it will be better choice or is a crazy change?

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:14:29 pm

The CPU's have to process the data first such as decoding before it transmits to the system ram buffers and down to the GPU ram buffers for GPU processing. Since the CPU's are the starting point, the data rate the CPU's are able to process decides how fast the data arrives at the GPU for processing. The slower the CPU's the lower the Processing load on the GPU's at any given time segment. This is why the CPU's have a deciding role in the GPU load and performance.

The Quadro would be a better output option because of the 10bit color output. The Geforce cards would limit to 8 bit output only since Davinci does not use a Direct X API. If you require 10bit preview and did not have a Blackmagic card then the Quadro would be the output card to use.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Evans Briceño
on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:31:03 pm

This q4000 will be use to output to 30" apple display f. I have the hp dreamcolor for grading monitoring attached to the blackmagic hdlink displayport

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

Evans Briceño
on Aug 22, 2013 at 3:00:35 pm

This q4000 will be use to output to 30" apple cinema display for interface. I have the hp dreamcolor for grading monitoring attached to the blackmagic hdlink displayport. If there anything better than the q4000 I'll be glad yo listening to you.

Last night I put in amazon's cart 4 x 4gb ram to rise the memory as you sugested. The only concern is that I have full bank with 2gbs modules, I pretend to take out 8gbs and put those pairs as apple suggest in his ram manual configurations. I prefer all modules be the same but i think i need to balance the cost/worth of this oldy loyal computer.

By the way, I saw the post comments about the new debayering soft from red with gpus. Do you think if in future i change to a newer computer like ma pro 12 cores will be better to buy the titan for more power? I'm afraid with those Red news i'll regret the 780. Of course, right now, those 1000 bucks of titan represents 780+ram memory.

Is imposible to think to have the mac pro tube and all the expenses that it represents. New controling thunderbolt card, thundernbolt raid, etc And the unknown of the future performance.

I'll apreciate all your knowledge and your help. Thank you so much

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Aug 22, 2013 at 6:11:28 pm

The Quadro would be fine for the output card. How do you currently have the HDLink connected to the system?

A Titan Card would be better with a current Mac Pro however not for the up and coming 1 with the 2 ATI GPU's expected. Don't invest much into the current Mac Pro though. They are outdated compared to current Intel Xeon CPU's and the performance difference is significant.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Evans Briceño
on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:26:16 pm

the controling card : Blackmagic Multibridge, with the 4k extreme upgrading in mind. But since The Tube was announced, I hold the purchase. Your final words sounds like is better to leave everything on hold. The situasion is that I'm in a country market that doesn't worth an investment as big as $7000 minimun 'cos the slow returning profit. That's why upgrading just the necesary will give us 6 to 12 month of work.

Do you think the tube will meet the needs of a real workflow without much add ons?

Evans Briceño
BLUE films
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:58:38 pm

Well with the I/O card you would have to get a Thunderbolt PCI-E expansion Chassis and Thunderbolt storage. Those will be the min add-ons regardless. Performance will depend on the Open CL performance and support of the applications used. Processing ceiling will be greater than current Mac Pro. Pricing justified for the processing improvement and over all performance - questionable at best. Maybe the best plan would be to get the ram upgrade only and hold with others. The Current Mac Pro could be a render box when a new system is available.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]