FORUMS: list search recent posts

GTX 680 2GB (not mac flashed)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
GTX 680 2GB (not mac flashed)
on Aug 13, 2013 at 2:16:16 pm

http://r.ebay.com/eTM0XI

I found this on eBay and wanted to make sure its going to work well on my macpro 3,1 2008 model osx 10.8.4 The seller says yes it does but I thought to check with Resolve users specifically in terms of the stock version and the Mac flashed versions selling for double the price.

Seems like they sell for much more when mac flashed but I don't really care about a boot screen as long as it works. I know i will need a 6to8 adapter cable but otherwise a good upgrade from a 8800 GT no?

I am also looking at the EVGA 5803GB stock PC card as another option for my single card upgrade to this machine but this 680 seems like a good deal to start bidding on. http://r.ebay.com/g9HR75

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
Re: GTX 680 2GB (not mac flashed)
on Aug 13, 2013 at 2:31:43 pm

Might want 4gb RAM. If you look back Peter says RAM is important as frames sizes increase. FWIW, I have a 680 Classified w/4gb non-flashed and have had great performance, although no boot or shut down screen. I have an additional power supply in the CPU that fits in the second dvd bay and it works great! A lot quieter and faster than my old 480/120 combo.

Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Consultant
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Aug 13, 2013 at 2:33:52 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. I was looking at that card too but I only have 1080 dslr work really on this box and this card is like half the cost with no need for external power etc.

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Aug 13, 2013 at 3:09:23 pm

Should be fine, I do lots of client supervised sessions with the large Alexa files so I need the Horse Power!
Good Luck!

Clark Bierbaum
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Itai Bachar
on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:50:27 pm

Hi,
What is flashed gpu?
thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Wong
on Apr 16, 2014 at 11:40:09 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but what are the downsides to running a non flashed gtx 680? Are you still able to boot the machine into a different startup disk by holding option, etc?

I have a Mac Pro 4,1 and am trying to take advantage of GPU debayering of red footage but BMD told me I need to upgrade my gtx285.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 13, 2013 at 11:28:08 pm

Just so you know, the MacPro 3,1s never work all that great with resolve. Your CPU will probably be under performing your GPU.

color/post/workflow
http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:49:13 am

Good catch Juan! I have a 5.1 with lots o memory, a SSD for the system drive and an internal raid, as always YMMV!

Clark Bierbaum
GarnetColor.com
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Aug 14, 2013 at 2:14:13 am

thanks for the info guys.

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on Aug 22, 2013 at 5:01:10 am

As a double downer, the 3,1 Mac Pros run non-flashed cards at PCIE 1.0 speeds.

So it runs at half speed on the bus compared to a flashed card.

You may not notice due to CPU issue, but always best to have things moving as fast as they can.

You can flash it yourself if you have a PC, or a friend with one.

I have sold a couple 580s to people with 3,1s who were perturbed that even with a 580 Resolve performance didn't leap forward. BMD has a lower quality setting just for these machines.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]