FORUMS: list search recent posts

Round trip question (basic workflow issue)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Curtis
Round trip question (basic workflow issue)
on Aug 12, 2013 at 12:32:33 pm

This is perhaps a very basic question, perhaps so basic that there are no answers i've found!

PPro -> Resolve. I can go via AAF (if i clean up the timeline) or split a rendered master file. I can use source clips or a flattened movie.

Now i grade in resolve.

Then there is an edit tweak in the source file. Some changes to cuts and perhaps a new clip added.

Are there any tools that would allow me to reimport the file and maintain the grade done already (the individual grades being related to the name of each clip on the import)

Or do you open up two timelines and copy the grades between manually?

I have a feeling this is a really silly question but i've been scouring for an answer without luck

many thanks for humouring me

cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
Re: Round trip question (basic workflow issue)
on Aug 12, 2013 at 5:07:57 pm

Use the Final Cut XML out of Resolve that way you can always make edit changes during and after your grade. If you need to bake your media and copy grades to a new version of your cut than use Colortrace in Resolve. Just be aware that it won't copy multiple versions of a grade. Your best bet is an XML workflow though.

Good luck!

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Athanasios Kamaretsos
on Nov 26, 2014 at 11:27:07 am

Could you please post a step by step workflow of this?

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Aug 12, 2013 at 5:22:23 pm

depending on the extent of the changes, in the Preconform/notch workflow, it can also be helpful to do a Hard Cut to Hard cut export of the changes from the timeline and lay in the new media by timecode in v2.

You will have to notch the new sections... but like I said, this will depend on the extent and number of changes to determine if it is a viable option.

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:28:25 am

If you've conformed from source files via edl/aaf/xml and used the default remote grades then the good news is all you have to do is import revised edl/aaf/xml into same session and the grades associated with the source files will migrate automatically. Preconform color sessions will not be quite as effortless with editorial changes.

BTW xml's out of premiere to Resolve support image repo info but not aafs.

Return to posts index

sean pollaro
on Aug 20, 2013 at 7:42:10 pm

I have a question. I cut my film with proxies in fcp 7 and sent an xml out to grade in resolve. I had to reconnect to the original .r3d media on import.. the grade is almost complete but now the client has changes so I went back to the original fcp 7 project with the proxies and made the changes there then exported a revised xml.. How do I import these changes back into resolve from fcp 7 so that it will reapply my previous grades to the updated xml? is this the right workflow?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]