FORUMS: list search recent posts

Roundtrip DNG from Resolve > Premiere. Some seq's link properly, some are incorrect.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Stebbins
Roundtrip DNG from Resolve > Premiere. Some seq's link properly, some are incorrect.
on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:03:25 am

So… this week I've pretty much dedicated myself to nailing down this workflow for a roundtrip Resolve > Premiere > Resolve. I'm so close to having it down and fully functioning, but I'm experiencing a very strange phenomenon and I just can't figure out why it is happening. Here's what I'm doing:

1. Import DNG sequences into my Media Pool (in Resolve)
2. Export QT proxies from the Deliver tab, unchecking "Render each clip with a unique filename" so that we can relink later to matching filenames.
3. Import QT files into Premiere, do an edit.
4. Export XML from Premiere.
5. Import XML to Resolve from Conform tab, unchecking the "Automatically import..." box.

Once I get to step 5, I'm able to import the sequence, and some of the clips line up beautifully, but then it's a toss-up from there. Resolve places the wrong clips on the timeline. I can see my cuts, but it is linking the wrong clips. Here and there I'll find appropriately linked clips.

I've imported the XML into FCP as a test and it reads perfectly. I've tested EDL's and AAF's and they all do the exact same when imported into Resolve. I've tried to play with the Conform settings in the Master Project Settings, but I'm coming up short. I'm rather certain the issue lies in the ingestion on Resolve's side. Something is not getting linked appropriately.

I've been following

to a T.

Anybody having a similar problem? Suggestions?

Hardware: Mid 2010 Mac Pro, 32GB Memory, 2x2.4GHz Quad-Core.
Software: OSX 10.8.3. Davinci Resolve 9 Lite (9.1.3life.019), Premiere Pro CS6

Kyle Stebbins
Lead Video Editor
Instrument | Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Kyle Stebbins
Re: Roundtrip DNG from Resolve > Premiere. Some seq's link properly, some are incorrect.
on Aug 12, 2013 at 4:21:17 pm

Just wanted to try bumping this once. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Kyle Stebbins
Lead Video Editor
Instrument | Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Roundtrip DNG from Resolve > Premiere. Some seq's link properly, some are incorrect.
on Aug 12, 2013 at 5:25:26 pm

Have you confirmed that the "Reel/Tape" info is present and/or unique? Also, are there clips that may have similar Reel/Tape info that may also have similar Timecode but different file names?

Have you tried sending the accurate timeline created in FCP from FCP to Resolve via FCP XML?

Return to posts index

Steven Williams
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:14:16 pm

Did you get this sorted? I am still having problems

Partially Baked Animator

Return to posts index

Michael Tiemann
on Jan 13, 2014 at 1:33:53 am

I would also like to confirm that Resolve 10.0.2.011 (Dec 5 2013) -> Premiere Pro CC round-trip is broken. Here's what I have found:

I've made some further progress on this and have learned the following:

Adobe Premiere Pro has this annoying "feature" (many call it a bug) that when exporting to XML, if a project's sequence is selected, it won't export metadata. However, if nothing is selected in the project (i.e., the whole project, not just the main sequence) is exported then it does. Except for three additional problems...

1. DaVinci Resolve does not honor the exporting of metadata when the initial project has these fields filled in. Thus it is *entirely* dependent on the program at the other end of the round trip to magically populate this metadata according to what Resolve is expecting. If Resolve did export such metadata, then programs like Premiere Pro would ingest it, leave it alone, and it could be re-exported. But it doesn't, so that metadata has to be generated downstream. That's a Resolve bug as far as I'm concerned.

2. Premiere Pro has no easy way of generating metadata downstream. It is possible to use the Metadata Window to copy the filename to the "Tape Name" (in XML, ) field. But that's a pain when one has 20+ clips in a project. And it doesn't entirely work...

3. Even when the clip file contains both audio and video, it's written in XML as two entirely separate components: video and audio. The audio portion seems to have no way to communicate it's info to Resolve, or Resolve is flat-out ignoring it. It's lucky that typically in a multicam project, there's just one long audio file across a large number of camera cuts, meaning that it's feasible to manually conform the audio track to its corresponding file in the original media bin. But it's damn annoying that after doing so many other things to get the video right, the audio bit cannot also work.

Looking at the totality of this disconnect, I would say that on balance, it's Resolve that is the worse actor in this comedy of errors. It is annoying that Premiere Pro won't export metadata except as a "whole project". But it is worse that Resolve won't emit its own version of that metadata that it already knows ahead of time. And it's a shame that Resolve cannot offer a saving throw by applying the Reel Name logic that's part of the Master Project (Conform) settings to clips that don't otherwise set Reel Name when they are imported.

Hopefully Blackmagic will fix Resolve soon.

Manifold Recording
Pittsboro, NC
http://manifoldrecording.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]