FORUMS: list search recent posts

Da Vinci Resolve dust removal

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emanuel Schwermer
Da Vinci Resolve dust removal
on Aug 6, 2013 at 10:31:42 pm

Hi from Munich,

does anyone have a link for me to a good video tutorial about dust (dirt on chip) removal in DV Resolve?
I could not find anything on Lynda and google searching was also not of much help.

Many thanks,

Emanuel
http://www.firstcamera.de

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
Re: Da Vinci Resolve dust removal
on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:42:05 pm

You couldn't find it because it doesn't exist. You need to use third party software, like PF Clean or you could use DV Revival. But if you are not on Linux, you're out of luck.

Return to posts index

Emanuel Schwermer
on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:52:50 pm

Thanks 4 your answer!
But was is that?
(See ScreenShot)

Return to posts index

Emanuel Schwermer
on Aug 7, 2013 at 12:02:40 am

Hope the 2 ScreenShots are got attached. Can not see them!
I'm playing with the dust removal settings at the moment - YES it is there!
At it works somehow!
See the DVresolve manual on page 518+519.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Aug 7, 2013 at 12:23:03 am

I was under the impression, that only Revival was capable of dirt removal. That's why I never even looked at the menu as I thought, that all that did is to send those frames for clean up processing in Revival. I guess it's time to investigate this functionality. Thanks for pointing out wrong info!

Return to posts index

Emanuel Schwermer
on Aug 7, 2013 at 12:28:20 am

I'm also confused, as it seems to work just "somehow" not like i would expect it to work.
But there must be a reason why it is described in the manual.
I'm just a "hobby-user" of DaVinci for my timelapse stuff i shoot during my assignments as a DoP.
Once somebody could me give advice how to use this function properly ...
I would be very happy!

Emanuel

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Aug 7, 2013 at 1:11:46 am

Dust removal works pretty well in Resolve, it is fully manual and you select the tool and draw a circle around the dirt particle and Resolve thinks for a second and 99% of the time the offending particle is gone and there are no artifacts from it.

The only thing is that dust removal ONLY works with DPX frames.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Aug 7, 2013 at 9:51:32 am

By fully manual you mean frame by frame right? It was last time I used it (in v7 I think) which was painful.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Aug 7, 2013 at 1:10:26 am

It's really quite simple to use so don't waste time looking for a tutorial, with the dirt removal button selected, just drag a rectangle around the area you want to clean. It only works on DPXs though, so you'll have to convert the footage if it's not. It you right-click in the button you have some extra settings. Also, the undo is different from the regular undo, I forgot the shortcut, but it's listed in the pull down menu bar.

Return to posts index

Emanuel Schwermer
on Aug 7, 2013 at 9:58:49 am

Thank you everybody for your responses!
I think the problem is this "fully manually" - it seems really to work frame by frame only!
Can somebody confirm that?

Greets,

Emanuel

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Aug 7, 2013 at 1:59:42 pm

Yes dust busting in Resolve is frame by frame.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 2X GTX580 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Aug 7, 2013 at 2:38:43 pm

Dust busing in any software is frame by frame, because dust, by definition, is only going to appear on one film frame. Any automation is simply processing multiple frames, one by one, and with no correlation between them.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Aug 8, 2013 at 12:41:21 am

I think the confusion here is with "fully manually"" and "frame by frame". As correctly pointed out by Mike, dust is usually present on a single frame, so it is by definition is "frame by frame" operation. But the process can be somewhat automated, where, for example, the software, like PF Clean can help to identify dust, scratches, blemishes. Then the user have a choice to either "trust" the software algorithms in identifying those problem areas and let it do the dust and scratch removal in fully automatic mode or do it in semi-automatic mode, where user have to accept those areas, identified by the software as a problem areas first. As there is no software that is perfect in interpreting what is a good image and what needs to be removed, there is no substitution to a good pair of eyes, so it is obviously better to do it in "fully manually"" or, if available, use the semi-automatic mode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]