FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic grade not being applied through handles

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Mena
Basic grade not being applied through handles
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:49:48 pm

Hey All,

Working on car commercials with Premiere Pro CC and round tripping through Davinci Lite using XML. These commercials have a lot of speed changes and quick cuts. I understand that when we bring the XML into resolve the speed changes won't be perfect. Once I've roundtrip back to Premiere a lot of shots are off. No problem just slip and all good EXCEPT, some of the shots have basic black and white grades and when I slip them the grade is not being applied to the handles of that clip. Can anyone tell me why?

I don't want to have to bake in every shot that I have to slip. If any one has advice it would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
Re: Basic grade not being applied through handles
on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:54:50 pm

Speed changes with roundrip between Resolve and FCP, FCPX or PPro work quite well.
But the speed change has to be constant. As far as I know, you can't key frame it.
So, use it and the speed changes will come though just fine.
As far as handles not having grade applied... unfortunately, that's normal...

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Jul 19, 2013 at 10:11:41 pm

Thanks. Yeah we pretty much baked in those shots. Actually, I was able to use Dynamic linking to replace our Pro Res footage with our RAW footage then render those clips out befoer we went to Resolve. Worked like a charm.

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Jul 20, 2013 at 2:02:22 am

This has been my biggest pet peeve about Resolve since version 7 on the Mac. It pretty much negates the point of rendering with handles to begin with!

You should send a bugreport to davincihelp@blackmagicdesign.com about this issue. I'm really surprised that this bug has survived in Resolve for at least the last 3 versions. Hopefully the more people that report it, the quicker it'll get fixed.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:46:46 pm

The handles issue has been bumming me out, too. A film I worked on had to come back to me with their motion-effected shots and some re-cut scenes recently (which required fully graded handles of some of the existing footage). I graded the non-speed-effected raw footage as well as fully grading extended handles on the shots they needed, and gave it all back to the editor. He went in & re-applied all this motion effects and has the ability to tweak the cut to his delight now.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 15, 2013 at 7:05:13 pm

Here's a URL that can be really handy:

http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/Manual/Resolve_9_Manual...

Page 226

Creating a Timeline With Handles
If you need to render media with handles before exporting a timeline to another application, you can create a duplicate version of a graded timeline (or of the Master timeline) in the Conform page first. A timeline with handles is useful if you’re recording a timeline to tape and you need pre-roll time.
To create a timeline with handles:
1. Open the Conform page and select any timeline, or the Master timeline, you want to duplicate into a timeline with handles.
2. Do one of the following:
> Choose File > New Timeline With Handles.
> Right-click the Master timeline or any other timeline in the Timelines list and choose “Create New Timeline With Handles.”
The Timeline with Handles Setup dialog appears.
Handles window to define handle length and content

3. Adjust the following settings:
> Pre Handle Value (Frames) field: The number of frames to add before the In point of the clip.
Type a number in the field, or use the up/down arrows to adjust the value a frame at a time.
> Post Handle Value (Frames) field: The number of frames to add after the Out point of the clip. Type a number in the field, or use the up/down arrows to adjust the value a frame at a time.
> Source Mode checkbox: Sorts the clips in the new timeline in ascending order, according to source timecode.
> Force Black Handles checkbox: For clips that lack extra media at the head or tail, turning on this checkbox renders black instead, creating handles where previously there were none.
4. When you’re finished, click OK, and when a Conform Settings dialog appears, verify the settings you selected and click OK a second time.
5. If you want, type a custom name for the new timeline in the Timeline Name dialog that appears, and click OK. By default, the new name is that of the previous timeline with “(Handles)” appended to it.
A new timeline is created, with clips that are longer to reflect the handles that were added.
Keep in mind that timelines with handles have a completely different timing then the original timeline, and are not meant to be used, played, or exported in place of the originally graded timeline. Timelines with handles are only meant to be used to output to tape with handles, or to render media with handles in a different way, for example, to add handles that you can use to extend motion tracking that’s being applied to one or more windows. To export an EDL or XML file, select the originally graded timeline first.
Note: If you simply want to render Media with handles, you can use the “Add x Handles” setting in the Output options of the Render settings when rendering your program in the Deliver page.

If you really want to have Blackmagic *fix* this *issue*, can you confirm that it doesn't work, first?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]