FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Suite - What Monitor??

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guillem Ventura
New Suite - What Monitor??
on Jul 18, 2013 at 8:28:27 am

Hi guys,

I'm leaving my company to set a new office for my own :)

I currently have a HP Dreamcolor + Avid Artist Color setup.

I'm thinking of building a ¿¿¿???? + Tangent Element suite.

Clearly the BROADCAST MONITOR is my biggest concern.
If I could feed it YUV HDMI out of a MiniMonitor it'd make things cheaper... Although if working for DCP it may be a bad idea...

HP Dreamcolor is old, I guess, and I need an HDP2 to feed true RGB Progressive signal...

Any monitor for some 3.000€ that will do the job?
Any resources out ther that could help?

Thanks a lot!!

http://www.malgeniofilms.com

Return to posts index

John Sackey
Re: New Suite - What Monitor??
on Jul 18, 2013 at 9:30:28 am

Look at the new CM range from Flanders scientific. I think that's what I'll be going for when its time to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Guillem Ventura
on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:02:20 am

Thanks for the info, John.
They're so new there's none out yet!

I could afford a 23" BM series...
Still 8-bit, but I can tell you Dreamcolor exhibits banding too.

The problem is FSI doesn't have any representatives in Europe... Shall I go for a SONY OLED??

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Jul 18, 2013 at 10:05:20 am

I spoke to them (Brad I think) at IBC last year and they're opening a service centre in Europe but sales are all dealt with via the US website.

The Sony pvm is very good as well. I use them at a couple of places and everyone loves them.

Return to posts index

Von Thomas
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:02:48 pm

You may want to consider the Eizo 232W, and I believe you can get them in Europe. This is an amazing monitor, and at one point Davinci Resolve used it in it's advertising. They are expensive, but worth it.

Von Thomas
DIT / On-Set Dailies Colorist

Return to posts index

Guillem Ventura
on Jul 18, 2013 at 5:25:36 pm

Thanks for the advice, but we're getting beyind 5.000€ - a bit too pricey for a home setup, right?

I could get a 24" FSI for that money, and OLED seems the way to go nowadays, right?

I am just wondering how outdated the HP is, I've used it for two years and I'm pretty happy with it, but black level is still milky and banding is still present.
Its ColorSpace setup is neat though...

Return to posts index

Guillem Ventura
on Jul 19, 2013 at 2:25:07 pm

What about the 23" FSI??
They're 3k and may do the job, even though they're 8-bit...

BM230? LM-2340W?

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Jul 19, 2013 at 5:51:58 pm

The LM series are 10 bit panels. They were the top of the line before the CMs were announced. Lots of people love them.

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Jul 21, 2013 at 3:33:29 am

Also be sure to check out Penta monitors. They look as good or better than FSI and have sizes all the way up to "55.

Chris Tomberlin
Color/Finishing
Outpost Pictures

Return to posts index

Dave Pickett
on Jul 22, 2013 at 3:02:24 am

Chris have you worked on Penta monitors? What do you like about them versus Flanders? Any word on stability?

Thanks- Dave

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
http://www.davepickett.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Jul 22, 2013 at 3:23:19 am

Hey Dave,

I've had a Penta 24" for a week or so sitting right next to my Flanders. I was looking at Penta because they make larger, calibrated LCDs. I was thinking of replacing my 50" Plasma with something that would match my FSI better and that would hold a calibration. Since a demo of a 50" monitor isn't that practical, they sent me a 24" to have a look at. Generally speaking, I'd say I've been impressed. It seems to hold the highlights a bit better than the Flanders, and appears to have more detail and sharpness overall. I've not put a probe on it or done anything beyond subjective testing but it looks really good. Of course "accurate" is what you'd want. I'm not sure about long term stability, but I definitely think it would be an improvement over the (really good) plasma that I have for a client monitor and would do away with the "which monitor is right" question that I occasionally get from clients. I normally just say look at the FSI, and ensure them that it won't look like either of my monitors when it gets to someone's home!

I could put you in touch with the Penta guy from CineSys if you like; I think they have some NAB "demo" units for good prices.

Chris Tomberlin
Color/Finishing
Outpost Pictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]