FORUMS: list search recent posts

My only wish for Resolve 10...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Haber
My only wish for Resolve 10...
on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:00:51 pm

....is a ProRes4444 / DnxHD based render cache.
I had the misfortune today to work on a i7 2,7 16Gig Retina MBP and wow....its soo weak ;)
This 650M card is good for DIT work but as soon as I load some nodes its totally bogs down.
We also graded on RED Epic which plays only at 16th res.

So here the idea...
Instead of the DPX based disk cache, we would use a ProRes one.
I was able to play 5100 pixel videos on the same machine.
But debayering AND grading will make it unusable.

But if we had a cache to lets say 1920 in a codec we could write that to disk and also keep it memory.
I think Resolve would get a total boost as a great mobile grading tool be just adding this.

Thanks for listening.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.1.4 , Smoke 2013 EXT
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
Re: My only wish for Resolve 10...
on Jul 13, 2013 at 7:13:15 pm

+1, would be great!

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jul 13, 2013 at 8:17:53 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath for this, at least not while Apple refuses to provide a Prores encoder for any OS other than their own. And yes, I'm well aware of the open source codec, but Blackmagic - as well as most other software publishers - has not seen fit to risk legal action from a very trusted hardware partner. One of the downsides of providing completely cross platform software is that you really can't come up with caching format that only works on one of the three supported platforms.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58:20 pm

Yes, platform fragmentation is possible with different codecs used for cache. Said that, Autodesk seems not terribly worried about this possibility, as they offer a choice of cache codecs in Smoke on a Mac and on Linux. AD actually offer something, that's even better, than the straight Prores codec. They had managed to cache each frame as a single Prores file, combining advantage of small size of Prores with frame based flexibility. This way Smoke cache can easily be played and there is no need to re-render the whole image, but just the changed frames. Yes, disk fragmentation can be a problem, but I haven't noticed it much with my Smoke. With the new capabilities of Resolve 10 around the corner, there will be a serious need to rethink the proper use of cache for image processing. Persistent cache is just a small first step in that direction.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jul 13, 2013 at 10:22:32 pm

I would point out that Smoke is technically a Mac-only program, at least in terms of being available as a standalone license. On Linux, you can only get it as part of Flame Premium. Not being available on Windows is both a strength (you can use a lot of common code between Linux and OS X, and on the Mac you can use Apple specific codecs) and a weakness (there are a lot of Windows users out there.....).

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jul 13, 2013 at 11:36:16 pm

AD at times can be a bit strange.
Smoke on a Mac and Linux are by now are pretty similar, even, if Linux Smoke can't be purchased separately. And, yes, there is no Windows version. Ironically, there is a Linux and Windows versions of Lustre, but not a Mac version:-)

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jul 14, 2013 at 2:29:29 am

While it's true that there is a Windows version of Lustre, it only exists due to legacy, Autodesk having purchased the technology years ago from Colorfront. Today, you cannot buy a new standalone license for Lustre on any platform, and you cannot buy a standalone license for Smoke on anything but OS X. I think Autodesk has made it pretty clear that their strategic platforms going forward are Linux and the Mac, at least for the "systems" type products. Clearly, it's a different situation for things like the 3D animation products and the Autocad line.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jul 14, 2013 at 4:27:24 am

Yes and no.
You are correct about Smoke and Lustre availability. But as far as availability of Lustre on Windows, very recently Lustre on Windows was updated to the version 2013, which finally added Windows 7 compatibility. So, contrary to a popular belief, it a seems, Lustre on Windows is still around.

Return to posts index

Hillary Knox
on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:48:40 pm

So wait, you can't buy a new license of Lustre 2013 Windows, can you? Or are they just updating in order to not piss off the small subset of folks that happened to buy Lustre on Windows 7 years ago?

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jul 17, 2013 at 10:04:09 pm

I think it's both. As far as I understand it, you cannot buy a new standalone Lustre license on either Linux or Windows, even though they are still issuing updates for both. The only way I know of to buy a new copy of Lustre right now is to get it as part of Flame Premium on Linux.

Jake, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct this.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:44:20 pm

It is clear, that all Autodesk had managed to confuse everyone, while coming out with the strangest marketing decisions at the same time.
I haver no idea Mike, if one could purchase the standalone license of Lustre and, frankly, I highly doubt, that even AD authorized resellers would know the answer to that question:-)
C├ędric Lejeune believes, that Lustre is being updated strictly for legal purposes only, whatever that means. And, even though Lustre now runs on Win7 it is still only a 32 bit app...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]