FORUMS: list search recent posts

580 vs. 680 for GUI

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
580 vs. 680 for GUI
on Jun 28, 2013 at 10:25:50 pm

Looking to upgrade my macpro 5,1 immediately by adding a cubix with a couple of titans and Rocket card.

I have a PC stock GTX580 3GB card I am using currently as my only card in the tower but I do have a PC stock 680 2GB card in another system - not the mac version so no boot screen. Just curious which of the two would be better for GUI considering I will be running a couple of Titans in a Cubix for GPU. From what I understanding, the latest version of Resolve (9.1.4) gives you that check box for another GPU but if the GUI is less than the others it will slow things down - true or false?

Thanks for responses.
A

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: 580 vs. 680 for GUI
on Jun 30, 2013 at 8:34:32 am

I would stay with the 580 to keep the boot screen and adding a 2GB GTX680 to a pool with two Titans may introduce issues with mixed GPUs and GPU ram that dont permit a speed bump as you would expect by sharing the GUI GPU for image processing.
Peter

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Jun 30, 2013 at 9:59:08 pm

hi peter,

thank you for the response! The 580 is the standard evga 3GB PC card so there is no boot screen. I am a little confused by that recommend but also you mention mixing gpu but if I have say 2 titans in the cubix and always keep that check box unchecked to use GUI for gpu hey would it matter about which GUI I use? This also begs the question of how the 580 is any better in that it and the 680 are still lesser than the Titan. Can you just clarify.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:21:05 pm

If u don't select the"use UI GPU for image processing" the UI GPU can be different to the processing GPUs.
If the 580 has no boot screen, the 680 would be fine too.
Peter

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:27:46 pm

Ok great but will there be any difference or advantage to using one over the other for gui considering my planned upgrade.
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]