FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to run Resolve 9 and Lite?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Vogel
Is it possible to run Resolve 9 and Lite?
on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:08:20 pm

Hello,

I've got a Blackmagic Cinema Cam and my Resolve v9. Problem is the USB dongle. I run it on my laptop and carrying the dongle is a complete pain.

For what I do, I can do it with Lite and is there a way to run both on the same partition?

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
Re: Is it possible to run Resolve 9 and Lite?
on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:21:30 pm

Depends on what you do. If you don't need noise reduction and more than HD output on your laptop, just run Lite. You can't run both, not without dual boot to different partitions.

Return to posts index

John Vogel
on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:25:28 pm

Thanks Timo, I just downloaded Lite, installed and it just opened without a problem with all my projects from Resolve still in tack. I figured a partition was in order. Only HD output for me at the moment.

Thanks again,

John

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:07:48 am

[Timo Teravainen] "Depends on what you do. If you don't need noise reduction and more than HD output on your laptop, just run Lite. You can't run both, not without dual boot to different partitions."

I do really wish they'd set it up so Resolve would just run as Resolve Lite when the dongle wasn't attached, instead of having two separate apps.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

John Vogel
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:17:39 am

Great idea!

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jun 14, 2013 at 7:45:42 am

That would enable the hackers to simply fake the dongle ID.
If you offer free software most people wont bother.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.1.1 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jun 15, 2013 at 4:32:57 am

I run Resolve Lite and Resolve on one machine. Use Resolve Lite to open projects which are HD and simple and I need to continue work on another system that doesn't have Resolve full.. I run Resolve full when 2k or over, or if NR is needed.

Works fine. I just have to be careful to upgrade both together.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

John Vogel
on Jun 15, 2013 at 7:26:06 am

On the same HD?

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jul 15, 2013 at 12:13:46 am

Neil, could you describe how you accomplished this? Have you experienced any issues at all? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 15, 2013 at 6:39:38 am

I installed Resolve Lite and worked on it for a few weeks. When I needed larger than HD projects I went out and bought Resolve full.

After I had installed Resolve Lite, I had an app called DaVinci Resolve in the Applications folder. I renamed that to DaVinci Resolve Lite.

Then I installed Resolve full. So, now I have two apps in the Applications folder DaVinci Resolve Lite, and DaVinci Resolve.
I run Lite or Full depending on the kind of project I need to work on. In either, all projects are visible. Any project that starts in Resolve full won't open in Resolve Lite. Any project that starts in Resolve Lite opens fine in Resolve full. But I don't mix the two.

When an upgrade is available, I download both Lite and Full. I backup the database, just in case.
Then, I first run the full installer and uninstall the full version. Then rename the DaVinci Resolve Lite app back to DaVinci Resolve. Then I run the Lite installer and uninstall the Lite version.

Next, I install Resolve Lite. So again I have an app called DaVinci Resolve in the Applications folder. I rename that to DaVinci Resolve Lite.
Then I install Resolve full. This gives me an App called DaVinci Resolve in the Applications folder. So, now I have two apps in the Applications folder DaVinci Resolve Lite, and DaVinci Resolve. As before, I run Lite or Full depending on the kind of project I need to work on. In either, all projects are visible.

I've done this since v 8.2 and through all the upgrades and it works just fine. I have no users created in Resolve and all my projects are in Admin. I'm doing this on a MacPro with 16 GB RAM and a Quadro 4000 card installed.

As in any such things, YMMV.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:58:25 pm

Thanks Neil! That's exactly what I thought, but wanted to be sure. I'm so glad it works. I just finished that whole process myself and now have both the full and lite versions on my computer and can run either one. Perfect!

Return to posts index

Local Productions
on Feb 21, 2017 at 11:39:01 pm

This dual installation works fine on v12.5.4 too.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jun 15, 2013 at 9:33:43 am

This is not possible as both of them use the same app name and share resources. Copying the app bundle to a different folder is not recommended and it will cause issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]