FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 x GTX 680 4GBs cards, considering moving to 2 x Titans?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
3 x GTX 680 4GBs cards, considering moving to 2 x Titans?
on Jun 13, 2013 at 8:05:04 pm

I know everybody asks about GPU performance, and from what I can see on this forum a Titan equals almost 1.5 GTX 680s. I am currently running a custom rig with 3 GTX 680 4GB cards with a 10% factory overclock on each. 1 is GUI and 2 GPUs in Resolve. System runs great and no problems. However the heat level and noise level could be better. I'm considering switching to 2 Titans, 1 GUI and 1 GPU. Am I going to see a performance hit? Especially being that I will be going from 2 dedicated GPUs to 1 GPU? The bulk of my work is 4K RED right off the R3Ds, so without a Rocket card GPUs aren't a huge help...but I still don't want to sacrifice any performance for the rest of my work which is usually 1080P ProRes and DSLR stuff. By moving to 2 Titans it will also free up a slot to eventually add a Fusion IO card to the mix for 1200MBs+ transfer rates. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: 3 x GTX 680 4GBs cards, considering moving to 2 x Titans?
on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:02:18 pm

If you can afford it I'd recommend getting an external PCIe expander and put both Titans in there and maybe the I/O card top (depending on the expansion chassis you get), and keep one of the GTX 680's for GUI. This potentially also gives you the option to get a rocket in the future. There's a new one coming out soon.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:17:59 pm

Thx for the input. Yeah Trying to keep everything internal though an expander may be something I look into towards the end of the life of this workstation. If I ditch the Fusion IO idea I could run 2 Titans, RAID card, BM card, and a Red Rocket all internal, and faster IO by not sharing a slot for an external expansion chassis. It would be basically the same setup I have now just trading 2 680s for 2 Titans and one 680 for a Rocket. Not against external expansion eventually...just trying to optimize space and cost at the moment. Don't need the Titans performance wise, just want to free up a slot and bring the noise and heat levels down.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:40:08 pm

I was under the impression that you couldn't have such a mix of cards.

Please clarify, because I'm getting a little confused on the issue; that is, having a 680 and a titan in one machine. What I would be looking at though is the 780s... I have a 680 now, what if I have the 680 as the GUI and the 780 as the GPU? I didn't think this would be possible though.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:42:28 pm

I'm not sure about mixed cards. I was speaking to the relative performance of trading three GTX 680s for 2 Titans.

Return to posts index

John Whitcomb
on Jun 22, 2013 at 6:06:53 pm

I've been trying to find a Mac edition Titan. Where can I find one? Or does it need to be flashed or something?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]