FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro & Resovle...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Arnold
New Mac Pro & Resovle...
on Jun 10, 2013 at 6:06:42 pm

Impressions? AMD GPUs and thunderbolt expansion... May not be the Resolve dream system people have been hoping for.

Return to posts index

John Whitcomb
Re: New Mac Pro & Resovle...
on Jun 10, 2013 at 6:08:19 pm

I wonder?

Also, is the new macbook air retina? Can it run resolve?

Return to posts index

Al Arnold
on Jun 10, 2013 at 6:17:53 pm

Resolve on Macbook Air... Maybe...? If it's using Intel graphics, probably not without some code tweaking by BMD. Did they announce the specs? Only caught the mac pro part of the live stream.

Return to posts index

Christian Betong
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:42:15 pm

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8898

Christian Berg-Nielsen
Sement&Betong
postproduction
Norway

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:44:30 pm

It'll be fine. According to Grant Petty, "We have been testing with DaVinci Resolve 10 builds and this screams....Overall we could not be happier!"

OpenCL has made a lot of advancements the past few years. This could likely push companies to make more. Plenty of horsepower in this little package to run Resolve (especially after BMD tweaks the code for it).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Al Arnold
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:32:56 pm

I think that NR won' be an option with Open-CL at this point, right? It looks to me like any expansion at this point is going to be very expensive with this type of setup, as everything is going to require a new TB enclosure and power supply.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:17:25 pm

Al, Rohit Gupta of BMD has confirmed that Resolve 10 noise reduction will run on the new Mac Pro AMD GPUs with the new version of OpenCL.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Jun 19, 2013 at 12:02:53 pm

I wonder if Resolve 10 will run better with the improved Open-CL than on CUDA?. Wouldn't want to pay $4k or $5k?? (plus peripherals) for a new Mac Pro to find that it doesn't.

I've been holding out for this announcement before upgrading but now I feel a Hackintosh or a jump to Windows coming on.

M.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:56:17 pm

[michael stirling] "I've been holding out for this announcement before upgrading but now I feel a Hackintosh or a jump to Windows coming on."

It was a preview, not a lot of real world performance indication other than the specs. But seeing how it runs, reviewing benchmarks when it is released, is necessary before making that move i should think. With Grant Petty, BMD, posting that the new Mac Pro is "screaming" based on their work with Resolve X and the new version of OpenCL. With the developer of the 3D painting program from The Foundry appearing to endorse it as the best platform performance he has seen for his program being ported back to the Mac, you have to conclude, it's still worth waiting a few more months. I expect it to be released in October 2013.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Jun 20, 2013 at 11:09:25 am

Sure. After waiting so long for the new Mac Pro I won't be jumping before I've seen one in action but I'm feeling like it may not make financial sense for us to redesign the studio around this any more than it made sense for us to move our edit suites to FCP X when that launched.

This just looks like a great Apple style item to me which won't look so good once I've attached 10 peripherals to it. As a good friend of mine commented: if you want a sexy looking Mac on top of the desk there's the iMac, we'd have been happier if the new Mac Pro was a 19" rackmount machine. (and maybe mine will be).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]