FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying Grades from Different Projects

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Edwards
Copying Grades from Different Projects
on Jun 6, 2013 at 3:56:09 pm

Hello all!

I have a tricky question. A client handed me a single ProRes file of an edit of a promo to grade for testing purposes. I then threw it into Premiere, broke it down into clips, then did an XML export ready for Resolve. Graded, exported and sent to client, then they responded wanting to have it done to the whole project.

So my question is, how do I copy grades from Resolve project to another? I'm now working with the original ProRes files and have an XML from the event in FCPX. I'm looking to just copy the grade from my original project into the new one for round tripping purposes.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Copying Grades from Different Projects
on Jun 6, 2013 at 4:37:41 pm

Color Trace manual mode.

or grab a still from all clips from your test timeline.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Dan Edwards
on Jun 6, 2013 at 5:54:24 pm

Thanks Joseph.

I grabbed all stills from my first project but can't seem to transfer them between projects. Should I even be transferring this to a new project or would a new timeline be more beneficial?

My overall goal is to have as seamless as possible of a FCPX roundtrip for the client.

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:20:47 pm

[Dan Edwards] "t can't seem to transfer them between projects"

You should be able to drill through the stills browser into the original project, and then copy them into the new project. If you chose to create a new timeline within the original, then ColorTrace would no longer be an option, since it is in a sense a redundant operation given that "remote" grades can be applied automatically through the Master Timeline. I've used stills from other projects often, especially with series and anthology work which often shares clips, or related takes that benefit from a grade created in another session.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

andrew sableton
on Jun 6, 2013 at 8:56:45 pm

Dan....honestly this is a basic operation question.....

I would recommend a highly expensive and obscure training resource.....

Read the manual

AS

Return to posts index

prathvish hegde
on Jun 7, 2013 at 7:24:39 am

dan,
just go into the gallery find the original project,you will see the stills you have grabbed in that project drag and drop the stills to the below window which is ur current still page or scroll through the time line by pressing arrows or next shot,prev shot if u have the resolve control surface(note:you will not be able to see the timeline but you can see the timeline shot on your reference monitor(projector)now just apply the grade from the still which relates to the shot displayed u have the grades on the timeline.

prathvish hegde
colorist
(DaVinci Resolve and 2Kplus)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRPJQ3fIEoojI3JMa4rHKb9gqq8VeIZ81

Return to posts index

Dan Edwards
on Jun 9, 2013 at 11:36:09 pm

Thanks all. Very helpful. Will look more closely at manual next time, didn't see it at first read through.

Dan

Return to posts index

Geoff Webb
on Nov 29, 2014 at 12:36:36 am

Andrew,

These forums are a wonderful resource for beginners who might feel the manual too daunting or unspecific for their issues. Keep your sarcasm to yourself and have a great day

Return to posts index

Kevin Fratz
on Apr 18, 2015 at 10:23:09 pm

It's an honest question, there's no need to be a jerk.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 19, 2015 at 1:07:14 am

Not only is it an honest question, it's from 6 months ago. The answer in the manual is the same, all covered in the extensive Gallery section. It's not that hard to maneuver around and bring in stills from another project, even those under different users.

I have worked on a few projects where the Gallery totally saved me. Without that, I'd still be working on those projects right now!

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Jul 25, 2017 at 3:37:46 am

Now it's a question from two years ago, but I'm in a similar pickle: I've sliced up the reference prores and graded that. Now I've got an XML and all the original media, I'd like to replace the Prores for various reasons.

I appreciate how to transfer stills and apply them, but this is ultimately a pretty laborious process since I'm looking at a ~45min program with many cuts.
For a second I had the bright idea of force reconforming clips (ie, swapping the clips instead of the grade), but that won't work with my sliced up prores (doesn't match the rushes in any way bar content).

I highly doubt it, but is there any more graphical way to copy the many grades than stills/memories? I've got grand notions of placing the XML timeline on a higher track and cascading the grade up, but this is highly fanciful.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Jul 25, 2017 at 3:40:03 am

Hold the phone, I've just read about colortrace. Will get stuck into that as soon as I'm back in the grading suite.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 25, 2017 at 7:09:25 am

[Mathew Farrell] "Hold the phone, I've just read about colortrace. Will get stuck into that as soon as I'm back in the grading suite."
ColorTrace is a pretty miraculous feature. With no exaggeration, ColorTrace used to be a $50,000 option for the daVinci 2K color-correction systems throughout the 2000s (prior to Resolve). I think ColorTrace was a bit flakey in Resolve 8, 9, and 10, but it got very good over the last few years and I've had zero problems with it from 12 on up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]