FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't change in/out points of clips on timeline after Scene Cut Detection

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mackenzie
Can't change in/out points of clips on timeline after Scene Cut Detection
on May 22, 2013 at 3:19:27 am

Hi forum,
I have a baked master here of a film which needs some extra basic grading work (black level adjustments here and there). I've used Resolve's scene cut detector on it.

Because the film is very old, it has a lot of flicker and such that means it's very hard to set the threshold for the scene cut detection correctly. In other words, it needs a lot of manual adjustments afterwards because the scene cut detection is tricked by the unstable content.

I was hoping that I could hop back and forth between the Conform and Color tabs as I find these problem areas and manually correct them. This is where I become totally confused.

It seems that I can't make any adjustments to the in/out scene points on the Master Timeline, is that correct? It's locked, and clicking the padlock icon does nothing to unlock it.

Fair enough - so I create a new timeline. This one isn't locked and I can delete clips from it without any problem. All of the clips have an Exclamation Point ! icon beside them. And after deleting a clip which is was a falsely detected scene change, I still cannot drag the handles of the clip beside it to extend it into the gap where the falsely detected clip I just deleted used to be (I CAN, however, make the clip shorter).

My next attempt was to use the "Join Clips" feature. That doesn't work either. Resolve now tells me "Unable to join clips because the two clips do not share the same master clip".

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can begin grading and adjust the clip length as I find falsely detected scene cuts? This seems astonishingly un-intuitive and seems to be making a fairly simple concept very difficult.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Return to posts index

David Mackenzie
Re: Can't change in/out points of clips on timeline after Scene Cut Detection
on May 22, 2013 at 3:35:04 am

Aha, got it. Seems that working from the Master Timeline and then using the Split Clips / Join Clips from the EDIT dropdown menu inside the Color page is the best way for me to work on this.

Still, if anyone can clear up my original question, it'd be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Sellars
on May 22, 2013 at 3:40:26 pm

I have the same problem trying to join clips in a (non-master) timeline that originated from scene cut. I don't remember this issue in v8.

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on May 22, 2013 at 5:48:51 pm

The join clip function only works with clips associated with the same source media file. So once the scene detector puts separate clips into the Media Pool, the join function will not work on those.

So try this. Detect your clip. Using the menu icon in the upper right of the Scene Detect window, select Save EDL. Then exit the scene detect, and put your clip into the media pool. On the Conform page, select File / Import AAF, EDL, XML… and import the EDL you created above. This will split your single clip into multiple clips on the conformed timeline. Now you can both split and join clips on that timeline.

Once you use an EDL to conform the single source clip, you will notice that any color correction you make on a clip will be reflected on all the clips. That’s the default behavior, to base color grades on the source file. Since it’s a common source file for all the clips, they all get the grade applied. To change this behavior, right click on any thumbnail on the Color page, and select the “Use Local Grades” menu. This will break all the clip grades away from the source file, and allow each clip to have a unique local grade.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

David Mackenzie
on May 23, 2013 at 12:06:22 am

Dwaine - brilliant, thanks a ton! Will try that next time.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 24, 2013 at 2:20:55 pm

I usually do a check of all the edit points in the scene detect tool before saving the EDL. Just shoot from clip to clip and you can tell pretty quickly if it has hit the mark. Delete and add edit points right from within the scene detect tool. Might be a pain on a two hour movie, but you have to check the edit points at some point anyway.

Glenn

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on May 25, 2013 at 3:46:55 am

That is clever idea Dwaine. Thanks.
I hope scene detection algorithm will get changed in V10. For obvious reasons, using the motion analysis, that will become available in V10 will allow to use it in addition to the traditional scene detection, based on just the luminance changes. That's why right now in V9 it is impossible to use scene detection with any kind of flashes or big film flicker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]