FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create timeline with handles and clips link to wrong grade?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Brill
Create timeline with handles and clips link to wrong grade?
on May 15, 2013 at 5:35:18 pm

I have a timeline where I have graded a spot and one of the delivery items is rendering everything out with handles. I made a timeline with handles after grading so I could continue my tracks into the handles but I noticed all of the clips were linked to the first version for every shot. I am using remote grades if that matters. Also clips that I had to force conform are not relinking and have to be force conformed again.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
Re: Create timeline with handles and clips link to wrong grade?
on May 16, 2013 at 5:24:25 am

Are your versions just different looks or are they due to needing different grades for multiple selects from same source clip?

If sorting the versions is too much headache, what I would do is take your hero session with final grades and grab middle still frame of all (in your canvas menu) to a dedicated gallery page. Then on your handles session you can unkink so you are using logical grades and just paste grades from gallery. If you have lots of tracks you'll lose them this way FYI. There's other ways to do this but this way is easy and direct.

As for your force conform there's no way around that if you had to force conform in first place.

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on May 16, 2013 at 4:44:45 pm

Welcome to the headache that is handles (and copying grades) in Resolve.

One way to get around this is to copy the grades you wish to actively use to 'local', then use local grades in your handles. If you want to then copy those local grades back to 'remote' so they're available to the master timeline (for cut-downs, etc...) then that's possible too.

Altogether an inelegant, but effective workflow.

I would prefer if handles could just be toggled on and off in the same timeline, for tracking, etc...

JT

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on May 16, 2013 at 6:36:03 pm

James, wanted to make sure you realized that you can add handles on export if you are delivering with source meta data. If you have tracks or keyframes you'll get pops going this way but otherwise ot's way easier than creating a session with handles. If you have a few shots with tracks etc, I just copy and paste at end of the same timeline and manually extend handles.

Chris

Return to posts index

James Brill
on May 16, 2013 at 6:43:01 pm

John - So local grades will follow a clip when creating the handles timeline?

Chris - Pretty much every shot has 2 or 3 nodes of tight tracking so I can't do the auto handles in the delivery page. I do wish Resolve would do some kind of auto keyframe where it just continues the direction of the last keyframe. I imagine everyone else wants that too and it's way too difficult to engineer.

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on May 16, 2013 at 7:08:32 pm

Nope. I left out a crucial step in this absurdly complex workflow - colortrace. You need to save a version to colortrace from. It's a PITA, but it's the only way I know of to preserve versions.

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on May 16, 2013 at 8:00:38 pm

Oh yeah, Red metadata doesn't work with Colortrace. Another PIA...

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on May 16, 2013 at 7:56:47 pm

Sorry, but I find this business with master timeline inelegant AND ineffective.
Here is my post from a couple of months ago:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/277/24827
Isn't it time to fix this mess once and for all?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]