FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cloudy / Overcast day needs to feel sunny and warm?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
Cloudy / Overcast day needs to feel sunny and warm?
on May 15, 2013 at 1:55:29 pm

I am just wondering what some of you guys do in Resolve when you are given cloudy overcast footage that needs to feel like a sunny day - compositing on this job is not a possibility although I would imagine in Resolve 10 using OFX I might want to comp in some sun rays etc?

I usually just try to add some warmth in the midtones while trying to keep white looking white and black looking black - the job I am on now its SO overcast and the sky is blown out. I have R3D to work so I can at least adjust raw settings but even with that I am not sure how best to make cloudy into sunny! I dont want orange or nuclear looking skies but I am wondering about how best to make it feel sunny.

In the meantime, I am always wondering how best to do what IS possible within Resolve alone to make a cloudy overcast day feel more like a sunny day. Any help or opinions on workflow especially RED would be great.
Thank you

Return to posts index

Alan Gordon
Re: Cloudy / Overcast day needs to feel sunny and warm?
on May 15, 2013 at 10:14:43 pm

Is there a still you could pass along so we could see what we're talking about?

Cheers,
-Alan

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on May 16, 2013 at 2:48:35 pm

Unforubately I cannot post anything online but it's an overcast day at the beach, no cloud details just white sky no sun.

Return to posts index

Alan Gordon
on May 16, 2013 at 2:55:07 pm

Sounds like the best solution is to add a bit of contrast and warmth, but the real key would probably be a sky replacement.

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on May 21, 2013 at 5:27:25 am

You could also try power windows to simulate sun hitting some places in the shot

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]