FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp 7 1080 offline to resolve 5k online with scaling/sizing information

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean pollaro
fcp 7 1080 offline to resolve 5k online with scaling/sizing information
on May 13, 2013 at 8:00:25 pm

I'm new to resolve and am trying to wrap my head around a proper workflow. I'm cutting a documentary that was shot in 5k .R3D. I'm cutting an offline edit in FCP 7 using 1080 PR Proxy .MOV's. I like to do a lot of scaling and position changes moving around within a 5k image in a 1080P sequence. How do i achieve this in the offline stage? If my proxys and fcp 7 sequence are 1080, if I scale into these 1080 proxy clips (passed 100%) will the scaling info translate when I conform to the original 5k R3D's via XML in resolve? I did a test and found that fcp 7scaling info does indeed translate through the xml to resolve and after viewing the online 5k reconnect everything looks as intended. My question is, is Davinci resolve scaling my 5k image passed 100% thus degrading quality like the proxies or does resolve intelligently work this out? if I'm doing this all wrong, what is the answer? Thanks

Return to posts index

andrew smith
Re: fcp 7 1080 offline to resolve 5k online with scaling/sizing information
on May 13, 2013 at 9:48:47 pm

Yes its working correctly and the scaling done in Resolve from your 5k footage is WAY better than what its doing with the transcoded version of that file in fcp.

grade away!

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on May 13, 2013 at 10:35:42 pm

Just a quick note though: don't expect to be able to zoom in more than 150-200%. Just because the resolution is 5k (which in itself is arguable!) does not mean the detail is 5k. Unless shooting with Master Primes at f5.6 and pin sharp in focus its very unlikely zooms over 150% will be as sharp as those that are not pan and scanned. The offline can be misleading as you might assume that stronger zooms will be OK once reconnected to the red raw files. Always check these zooms in the grade, preferably on a big screen if meant for the big screen.

Return to posts index

sean pollaro
on May 13, 2013 at 10:50:56 pm

Thanks for this.. I'm still uncertain that my question has been answered though.. If I scale up passed 100% into a 1080 proxy in fcp 7 degrading the resolution, when i reconnect in resolve will the 5k image be scaled passed 100% degrading its resolution as well? or does resolve intelligently deal with this like its a 5k pan and scan within a 1080 sequence with no resolution loss?

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on May 13, 2013 at 10:54:02 pm

It scales from the source resolution and it does a very good job of it too. What I'm saying is that some people think you can pan and scan a 1080p frame within the 5k frame and it will look good. It won't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]