FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redcine settings into Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
Redcine settings into Resolve?
on May 10, 2013 at 7:14:14 pm

I have never attempted this nor do I know if its even possible but after some research I am still wondering if in the latest version of Resolve I can somehow import the adjustments that were made on set to the R3D for transcode/editorial. The director is asking if we can do that and use that as a reference point - i.e. import the settings made in redcine somehow??

I can of course just use the offline ref quicktime i create in fcp7 as a way to see how the transcodes looked but I am just wondering if I can go a step further in Resolve?

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Redcine settings into Resolve?
on May 12, 2013 at 11:15:40 am

I'm not sure about the import but you could have resolve on the set next time
instead of red cine?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
Re: Redcine settings into Resolve?
on May 12, 2013 at 11:43:01 am

if you have the RDM file to the clip, Resolve can import the settings. Although not all settings will make through, like Lift, Gamma, Gain, and Curves.
Others like contrast, saturation,etc. will be there.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
Re: dcine settings into Resolve?
on May 12, 2013 at 9:41:05 pm

thanks for the helpful reply laco - just curious could I also just open the file in rescine, reconnect to the r3d's and have a look at the setting that were done?
thanks

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on May 12, 2013 at 10:03:21 pm

If you have the RMD file, absolutely.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on May 12, 2013 at 10:58:48 pm

So a .rcx file is not what I need I imagine - it seems that is what on the drive not a rmd file : /

If I can get the rmd can you point me to how to use it will resolve or where best to follow along an explanation on that?

cheers

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on May 13, 2013 at 3:25:14 am

The best approach is to take all the recorded files, un changed and with the same folder and file structure, copy them to the raid thats connected to Resolve. If you use another app to generate or modify the RMD, put that in the same place as they exist when made by the camera.

In Resolve, the image files will show in the library, when you add them to the media pool, Resolve will automatically look at the RMD and use that metadata. If your RMD is in a different place than where RED normally places it in the camera recordings we wont see it.

The RMD is only read when putting the clips into the media pool.
Peter

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on May 13, 2013 at 2:05:29 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. If all I have is the .rcx project file can you explain how to create an rmd and put it in the proper location with the R3D files and make Resolve use it upon import? Do I create one for each r3D? I have locked picture so I am wondering if I can bring in that fcp7 xml into redcine and use that as a way to only make the needed rmd's?

Iused the xml already in Resolve and I have successfully conformed back to the r3d but would do it again if it meant having the rmd information.

One thing I do notice in the redcine project is that indeed gamma curve adjustments have been made as well so it seems only some of what was done in the transcodes will actually come thru into Resolve, but I think that's ok.

Curious to get your advice.
Thank you

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 13, 2013 at 2:50:37 pm

As long as you have "automatically create RMDs" enabled in RedcineX, they are created whenever you change something in RedcineX and placed within the same .RDC folder that the media files (the R3D files) live in. RMD files represent settings on only one R3D file, which is why they are named the same as the R3D and placed within the same RDC folder. The Redcine X project file is only relevant to Redcine X, allowing you to re-open a project with the same settings, bins, and timelines.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on May 13, 2013 at 4:25:12 pm

Understood, but since I wasn't seeing any rmd files within the r3d folders I was wondering if/how I can create them. I guess I can quickly check to see if in resolve the metadata exactly matches what the DP had going on in his Redcine project? If not, I want to be able to make rmd's for each shot out of redcine so that Resolve WILL see them upon conforming from the xml.

Make sense?

Thank you

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on May 13, 2013 at 4:53:29 pm

Thanks Mike and Peter for the help - I believe I got it worked out - with all clips selected in that redcine project i right clicked create rmd and now next to each r3d file i see rmd's - i will re-conform in a new Resolve Project and see if the brings in that RMD info.
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]