FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 10 vs Colorfront for Dailies?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Rice
Resolve 10 vs Colorfront for Dailies?
on May 9, 2013 at 2:33:04 am

We are trying to set up a rock solid On-Set Dailies system. I am familiar with Resolve from a grading perspective, and with v10 I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea if Resolve is now on par with ColorFronts Express-Dailies and On-Set-Dailies.

What are the big differences if there are any?

Forgive my lack of knowledge here. We just want to make the right decision on workflows and systems from the get go.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Andrew Rice
Kenai Productions
http://www.kenaiproductions.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
Re: Resolve 10 vs Colorfront for Dailies?
on May 9, 2013 at 1:49:28 pm

I am interested in this also but since 10 is still in private beta probably no one can say much.

Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Neil Smith
on Sep 12, 2013 at 6:13:37 am

If you live in the LA area and want to see the Resolve 10 beta in action we'll be demoing it on Saturday September 21st on the Lot in West Hollywood at 10am .... details on the LumaForge website ... you need to sign up through the EventBrite invitation ... we're on a movie Lot and Security won't let you through if you're not on the list:

http://www.lumaforge.com/page12/index.html

We're up to beta build 32 now so Peter and his team are making good progress .... it's very stable and they're getting close to releasing the public beta.

Resolve 10 is a significant upgrade and worth checking out before you make any strategic decisions ... we sell both ColorFront and Resolve systems and each has its own pros and cons ... you need to carefully consider the trade off between price and performance, functionality and availability, ease of user versus processing power, platform of choice and of course overall budget ..... it's not a direct apples to apple comparison.

Neil

Neil Smith
CEO
LumaForge LLC
shoot it. store it. share it
323-850-3550
http://www.lumaforge.com

Return to posts index

Christopher Reig
on May 31, 2014 at 3:08:16 pm

Hi Andrew,

I know this thread is quite old now, but thought I'd chime in my two-cents if you (or others) were still interested, having used both platforms to regularly produce dailies.

Colorfront ExD / OSD are both more geared toward dailies, and just dailies, so they offer quite a few things over Resolve 10 that are very much indispensable when doing dailies. The first being audio sync.

The physical interface for syncing the audio is much more intuitive, especially when you encounter no-timecode situations, or have a lot of drift to correct. Furthermore, it allows you slip in 1/4 frame increments, which is really useful. It also allows you to performs some wonderful little tricks, like being able to attach two audio clips to a single shot (you'd be surprised how often I hear 'wait, cut...... no, wait, actually, hold the roll, and end up with a single camera take, with two audio clips to match). Small things, but really quite useful for dailies.

The second thing is the whole 'workflow' for logging metadata, creating notes, and finally rendering the files. And this is a big one. Different deliverables often carry different naming conventions. Whilst editorial may prefer the source clip name for their MXF / ProRes media, the production team will almost certainly want it organised by scene-take. Being able to specify how to name each deliverable is a huge time saver. Plus, the reporting system isn't too bad, either. One thing I will hand to Resolve, is the media page is quite good at entering shot information, especially en mass.

(Slightly off-note, Assimilate Scratch has THE best interface for this kind of stuff. It's actually my tool of choice for dailies. But that's a whole other thread).

Lastly, I would say the rendering system is fantastic as well. They both offer great visual quality, but where Resolve falls down is the simultaneous render thing. You can certainly create additional outputs in the deliver page, but only at the same frame-size as the primary render. This certainly can work, but say you want 1080 for the editorial team, and 720 for iPads, and 480 for web-delivery, you are out of luck. You will need to create additional render outputs at each frame size. Also the case for aspect ratio blanking. Colorfront / Scratch are far more configurable in these aspects.

Now, with all that being said, you can still perform the same functions in Resolve, but it does take a little more work(arounds). You can use an ALE of the timeline to create reports in Excel / Word, and create scripts or text files to automate the renaming of your output. You can also create additional timelines with and without masking for each deliverable, etc. So you can certainly use it for dailies, as long as you can work with or around these limitations.

I am quite hopeful that Resolve will bit-by-bit implement these sorts of things. I mean, they have done an amazing job, when you consider what Resolve was 4 years ago, and what it is now. But as of right now, this is where I feel it stands now from a dailies perspective.

Hope this information comes as a help, to you or someone reading this thread eons later. I would love to hear what you ended up going with in the end, and how it has worked out for you.

All the best!

Christopher

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]