FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve and DNxHD data levels

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kristaps kazaks
Resolve and DNxHD data levels
on May 2, 2013 at 12:25:55 pm

Hey guys,

I was experimenting with how Resolve 9 deals with ProRes and DNxHD encoded footage in terms of data levels and found that strange things are happening.

When I import a ProRes HQ footage (generated in Atomos Ninja2), everything is as it should be - Resolve reads it as having Video Levels and it looks as it should. Then I tried transcoding the same piece of footage to DNxHD 422, and once imported, it seems that Resolve thinks it is Full Range data which it should not be, correct?

I used Adobe Media Encoder to transcode, with 709 color levels selected, which as I gathered from researching the interwebs means that whatever range the source has will pass through unmodified. But in Resolve, once the data levels for the clip are set to Video Levels, the footage is crushed down, as if it was Full Range.

Any thoughts what's wrong here? Is the problem in Resolve? Is the Media Encoder maybe falsely handling DNxHD and scaling the levels up to full range? User error, perhaps?

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
Re: Resolve and DNxHD data levels
on May 5, 2013 at 3:33:26 am

We've seen this as well with dnxhd QuickTime codec. I don't think it is a Resolve issue because I have a Quantel Pablo right next to our Resolve and have the same problem.

My guess is the problem is happening during the encoding.

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
Re: Resolve and DNxHD data levels
on May 15, 2013 at 1:41:27 pm

Oh I would so much like to get to the bottom of this. I have been struggling with this DNxHD shift for weeks and have not found a definite answer. I have tried many combinations of export-import with/without "data levels" or "legal levels" or eve "auto"... have read many posts here, but no work flow yet that gives me the numbers I set in Resolve back in premiere.

Anybody have the golden recipie?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]